PDA

View Full Version : Pidgin 2.5.7 Released! (Yahoo Problems Fixed)

Kosimo
June 21st, 2009, 11:20 PM
Folks, Pidgin 2.5.7 has been released!

Here the changelog:

* Yahoo Protocol 16 support, including new HTTPS login method; this should
fix a number of login problems that have recently cropped up. (Sulabh
Mahajan, Mike "Maiku" Ruprecht)
* Only display the AIM "Unable to Retrieve Buddy List" message once per
connection. (Rob Taft)
* Blocking MSN users not on your buddy list no longer disconnects you.
* When performing operations on MSN, assume users are on the MSN/Passport
network if we don't get network ID's for them.

Get it from Getdeb.net:

http://www.getdeb.net/app/Pidgin

Of if you want to copile it yourself: www.pidgin.im

RATM_Owns
June 21st, 2009, 11:37 PM
Already got it from mah `pacman -Syu` :D

Wiebelhaus
June 21st, 2009, 11:38 PM
Nice! , thanks for the heads up!

JordyD
June 21st, 2009, 11:45 PM

Likewise

racerraul
June 21st, 2009, 11:55 PM
How much longer till you can add multiple people to a single chat?

DirtDawg
June 22nd, 2009, 12:25 AM
No Intrepid build? Boo!

Thanks for the heads up anyways.

AgentZ86
June 22nd, 2009, 12:32 AM
Nice, thanks

Tibuda
June 22nd, 2009, 12:38 AM
No Intrepid build? Boo!

Thanks for the heads up anyways.

Try the PPA.
https://launchpad.net/~pidgin-developers/+archive/ppa

AgentZ86
June 22nd, 2009, 12:46 AM
Try the PPA.
https://launchpad.net/~pidgin-developers/+archive/ppa

Intrepid Boo Boo big time, I got one computer running hardy and the other running intrepid

Now What ?

AgentZ86
June 22nd, 2009, 02:39 AM
Fix for Intrepid and perhaps other versions or all version of Pidgin Yahoo client

See other post on this and it worked great for me also.

I updated pidgin on my Ubuntu 8.04 which worked well, however the pidgin update for intrepid 8.10 did not work since there is only a 2.5 version for intrepid,
so I then used the info found at this link:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1192135&highlight=pidgin+yahoo

Also a few others links on Ubuntu suggest to put Yahoo IP address in for Pager server, but I've not tried that since this suggestions worked good.

Thanks go all.

earthpigg
June 22nd, 2009, 02:57 AM
sooo i removed pidgin via synaptic... then downloaded pidgin for amd64 jaunty... it told me i needed pidgin-data, so i downloaded that from getdeb.

when i open up pidgin-data, the 'install' button is ghosted, with no indication as to why.

ideas, anyone?

edit: got it. had to remove libpurple and the other one, too...

zeroseven0183
June 22nd, 2009, 03:38 AM
Great! No more changing of hosts.

Grant A.
June 22nd, 2009, 04:02 AM
TBH, I'm very confused about Pidgin using Yahoo. Yahoo sued Xfire over similarities to Yahoo's protocol, yet Pidgin gets to use it?

earthpigg
June 22nd, 2009, 04:29 AM
TBH, I'm very confused about Pidgin using Yahoo. Yahoo sued Xfire over similarities to Yahoo's protocol, yet Pidgin gets to use it?

http://news.cnet.com/Yahoo-sues-Xfire-for-patent-infringement/2100-1047_3-5564179.html

In the case of the '125 patent, Gottlieb and Kirmse were employed by Yahoo when they developed technologies for a game-specific variation on Yahoo's popular Yahoo Messenger. Yahoo has been the sole owner of the '125 patent since it was granted.

The complaint describes the Yahoo Messenger instant-message service--in this case, the GameProwler instant messenger application--as one that "allows users to use a game server in connection with a messenger server to permit 'buddies' to know when other 'buddies' are playing games online, and easily join such games."

pidgin does not do that.... not that it changes anything about how software patents in their current state are utter crap.

Twexcom
June 22nd, 2009, 09:59 PM
I wish there was a 2.5.7 build for 8.10 (Intrepid). Would someone be nice enough to do that?

AgentZ86
June 23rd, 2009, 02:16 AM
I wish there was a 2.5.7 build for 8.10 (Intrepid). Would someone be nice enough to do that?

Hi

Intrepid and just about all others fixes for Yahoo can be done

Although I still upgraded my Intrepid Pidgin to version 2.5 it still needed the Pager Server field fixed.

See Message 1) from this link:
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1192135&highlight=pidgin+yahoo

Also others suggested using the IP address of yahoo to place this in the Pager Server field but I've not tried this since my Yahoo on Intrepid is working.

I hope this helps

g33k
June 23rd, 2009, 04:36 AM
Works like a charm, thanks!

duckytn
June 23rd, 2009, 05:57 PM
I have followed these steps and have Pidgin working fine. The only issue is it appears to have broken the association between Pidgin and the new Notification Area. I can no longer get Pidgin to minimize to the Notification Area. Anyone else experience this or have any suggestions?

Thanks!

Eric

Kosimo
June 23rd, 2009, 06:01 PM
I have followed these steps and have Pidgin working fine. The only issue is it appears to have broken the association between Pidgin and the new Notification Area. I can no longer get Pidgin to minimize to the Notification Area. Anyone else experience this or have any suggestions?

Thanks!

Eric

Open the main window, go to preferences, and set the notification icon to show up ALWAYS.

duckytn
June 23rd, 2009, 06:04 PM
Open the main window, go to preferences, and set the notification icon to show up ALWAYS.

Is this within Pidgin ?

peggyarmstrong
June 24th, 2009, 07:17 AM
I did this, then a few days later update manager fed updates and they worked without any problems

Ubuntu ships Pidgin but does not update it after a release (except for security issues). For those users who desire new releases of Pidgin, we have packaged Pidgin in a PPA. If you encounter problems with these packages, try building from source and report the bug.

To setup the PPA, copy-and-paste these commands into a terminal:

sudo apt-key adv --recv-keys --keyserver keyserver.ubuntu.com \ 67265eb522bdd6b1c69e66ed7fb8bee0a1f196a8

echo deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/pidgin-developers/ppa/ubuntu \ `lsb_release --short --codename` main | \
sudo tee /etc/apt/sources.list.d/pidgin-ppa.list

Once this PPA is setup, Pidgin updates will show up in Update Manager along with the usual Ubuntu updates. The PPA will need to be re-setup only after upgrading Ubuntu.

This PPA is maintained by one developer, so please be patient. It often lags behind the source releases a couple of days.

thale
June 24th, 2009, 04:44 PM
To setup the PPA, copy-and-paste these commands into a terminal:

sudo apt-key adv --recv-keys --keyserver keyserver.ubuntu.com \ 67265eb522bdd6b1c69e66ed7fb8bee0a1f196a8

echo deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/pidgin-developers/ppa/ubuntu \ `lsb_release --short --codename` main | \
sudo tee /etc/apt/sources.list.d/pidgin-ppa.list

It appears the keyserver is timing out :(

g33k
June 24th, 2009, 05:06 PM
You can manually add this key to your sources:

The .txt suffix is just to get it to attach to the forums.

thale
June 24th, 2009, 05:24 PM
Perfect, works great!

In the event you're like me, running jaunty and completely removed pidgin. You'll need to reinstall pidgin-libnotify to get your jaunty integration back.

g33k
June 24th, 2009, 05:49 PM
And pidgin-otr and pidgin-encryption if you use such things.

shark
June 25th, 2009, 02:18 AM
Hi. Recently updated to 2.5.7, it worked fine for a couple of days, but suddenly all avatars disappeared. I'm using it for Yahoo protocol. I'll tried to reinstall and to remove ~/.purple, but nothing ...

mister_k81
June 25th, 2009, 02:25 AM
Hi. Recently updated to 2.5.7, it worked fine for a couple of days, but suddenly all avatars disappeared. I'm using it for Yahoo protocol. I'll tried to reinstall and to remove ~/.purple, but nothing ...

I'm having the same problem as well. Also the file transfer in Yahoo protocol doesn't work for me either.

g33k
June 25th, 2009, 02:04 PM

How did you upgrade? From PPA, from getdeb, or from source?

PuddingKnife
June 25th, 2009, 02:11 PM
does it have web cam chat yet?

g33k
June 25th, 2009, 02:15 PM
does it have web cam chat yet?

Negative.

PuddingKnife
June 25th, 2009, 02:18 PM
Negative.

Well that sucks. Are there any linux chat clients that have web cam integration and work w/ yahoo chat?

g33k
June 25th, 2009, 02:21 PM
Well that sucks. Are there any linux chat clients that have web cam integration and work w/ yahoo chat?

None that I'm aware of. But I don't use webcam chat, so I honestly haven't looked into it very extensively.

longtom
June 25th, 2009, 02:27 PM
Thanks for that. Had to jump through hoops before that - now all is as it should be.

shark
June 25th, 2009, 02:36 PM
How did you upgrade? From PPA, from getdeb, or from source?
I'll tried all methods.

g33k
June 25th, 2009, 02:40 PM
I'll tried all methods.

Not sure. By avatars, you mean yours? Or your friends? I assume you have checked the Buddies > Show > Buddy Details option.

shark
June 25th, 2009, 02:51 PM
Not sure. By avatars, you mean yours? Or your friends? I assume you have checked the Buddies > Show > Buddy Details option.
Neither. And "Buddy Details" is checked. :)

g33k
June 25th, 2009, 03:19 PM
Neither. And "Buddy Details" is checked. :)

Odd indeed. So, when you uninstalled Pidgin, did you blow out ~/.purple and let it rebuild?

shark
June 25th, 2009, 03:24 PM
Odd indeed. So, when you uninstalled Pidgin, did you blow out ~/.purple and let it rebuild?
I removed the application, then removed that folder, after that reinstalled the applicatin, but no change.

g33k
June 25th, 2009, 03:37 PM
I removed the application, then removed that folder, after that reinstalled the applicatin, but no change.

Did you also kill /etc/purple and /usr/share/purple? I'm just grasping at straws with you to be honest.

shark
June 25th, 2009, 03:51 PM
Did you also kill /etc/purple and /usr/share/purple? I'm just grasping at straws with you to be honest.
Only /etc/purple, because /usr/share/purple does not exist.

g33k
June 25th, 2009, 04:04 PM
Ok, so let me make sure I inderstand. Pidgin works fine, but doesn't display avatars?

billgoldberg
June 25th, 2009, 04:05 PM

Only 1 post until someone mentions Arch.

It's getting bad.

shark
June 25th, 2009, 04:17 PM
Ok, so let me make sure I inderstand. Pidgin works fine, but doesn't display avatars?
Exactly! :D

g33k
June 25th, 2009, 04:20 PM
Exactly! :D

Hmm... That's effed up.

shark
June 25th, 2009, 04:25 PM
Maybe this will help:
(18:23:26) prefs: /pidgin/blist/show_buddy_icons changed, scheduling save.
(18:23:27) dbus: Need to register an object with the dbus subsystem. (If you are not a developer, please ignore this message.)
(18:23:27) dbus: The signal "drawing-tooltip" caused some dbus error. (If you are not a developer, please ignore this message.)

peggyarmstrong
June 26th, 2009, 08:58 AM
It appears the keyserver is timing out :(
I cut and pasted it as it was all three sets of commands at the same time, didn't think it would work but the updates came 2 days later