PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] stuck with wrong kernel

makno
June 21st, 2009, 10:38 PM
I really need to get a normal kernel on my server. I updated to ubuntu desktop 9.04 starting from ubuntu 8.04. Unfortunally i couldn't use the standard install from cd as i don't have phisical access to the server and through vKVM from the .iso it kept crashing after partitioning the drives. I got OVH to install the the os for me but it comes with their kernel:
2.6.28.1-xxxx-std-ipv4-32

which apparently is a configuration for the servers...
i tried to install 2.6.30 from kernel.org without success, also with kernelcheck but server won't boot after i set it in lilo, or better it does boot but doesn't come up online so i'm stuck with the ovh kernel which doesn't allow modules and can't get either virtualbox or vmware to run.

jimv
June 22nd, 2009, 11:24 PM
This should do the trick. If something goes wrong, you can always log back into the previous kernel in Grub (it will show up as a second entry).

sudo apt-get install linux-generic

master_kernel
June 22nd, 2009, 11:28 PM
You could also try the latest version of KernelCheck, if you haven't already.

makno
June 22nd, 2009, 11:39 PM
i installed kernelcheck last night but i'm trying to reinstall ubuntu from scratch now as things have gone wrong while trying to install grub :\

VastOne
June 22nd, 2009, 11:40 PM
You could also try the latest version of KernelCheck, if you haven't already.

+1 for kernelcheck

makno
June 24th, 2009, 12:37 AM
well i had to reinstall 8.04 desktop in the end and upgrade to 9.04 desktop. only problem is now i cannot compile new kernel, not with source either with kernelcheck.
when i get to the make menuconfig i receive this error:

root@stocazzo:/usr/src/linux-2.6.30# make menuconfig
HOSTCC scripts/basic/fixdep
HOSTCC scripts/basic/docproc
HOSTCC scripts/basic/hash
HOSTCC scripts/kconfig/conf.o
scripts/kconfig/conf.c: In function 'conf_askvalue':
scripts/kconfig/conf.c:105: warning: ignoring return value of 'fgets', declared with attribute warn_unused_result
scripts/kconfig/conf.c: In function 'conf_choice':
scripts/kconfig/conf.c:307: warning: ignoring return value of 'fgets', declared with attribute warn_unused_result
HOSTCC scripts/kconfig/kxgettext.o
*** Unable to find the ncurses libraries or the
*** required header files.
*** 'make menuconfig' requires the ncurses libraries.
*** Install ncurses (ncurses-devel) and try again.
make[1]: *** [scripts/kconfig/dochecklxdialog] Error 1
make: *** [menuconfig] Error 2

but i figured out that libncurses5 is installed and that i cannot install libncurses5-dev cause of the following error.

The following packages have unmet dependencies.
libncurses5-dev: Depends: libncurses5 (= 5.7-2ubuntu1) but 5.7+20090207-1ubuntu1 is to be installed

is there a way to remove or replace libncurses5 as indicated?

jimv
June 24th, 2009, 04:20 AM
I'm confused as to why you are trying to compile a kernel.

makno
June 24th, 2009, 01:13 PM
the kernel that came with the installation of ubuntu from the server provider didn't have modules option enabled. the only way to run virtualbox or vmware was to recompile the kernel enabling modules so while i was there i decided to go for the 2.6.30

master_kernel
June 24th, 2009, 01:59 PM
Try:

sudo apt-get build-dep libncurses5-dev
sudo apt-get install libncurses5-dev

And if you don't want to compile a new kernel, you could always go for the linux-generic package.

makno
June 24th, 2009, 05:35 PM
tried that but was going nowhere. anyway i made it and i think i got into the idea of how it works now so shouldn't be a problem to compile a different one now. But still thanks for the answers :D