PDA

View Full Version : My opinion of the Gnome logo....

parkland
June 21st, 2009, 09:09 PM
I just wanted to mention this, because I feel that the Gnome logo could be "cooler" than it is now.

I absolutely appreciate all the hard work that goes into linux software, so it is hard for me to criticize, but I will because I believe it would be for the better good of Ubuntu/ linux in general.

Now. it appears that a "Gnome" is sort of a short wizard guy, so heres some of my ideas of a new icon/logo...

1. Pointy hat
2. Magic wand
3. .....

Ok, i only have 2 ideas....

It just seems like having a foot for a logo takes away from the professionalism and gives a sense of playfulness / toy .

There MUST be a better alternative...

pastalavista
June 21st, 2009, 10:46 PM
I just wanted to mention this, because I feel that the Gnome logo could be "cooler" than it is now.

I absolutely appreciate all the hard work that goes into linux software, so it is hard for me to criticize, but I will because I believe it would be for the better good of Ubuntu/ linux in general.

Now. it appears that a "Gnome" is sort of a short wizard guy, so heres some of my ideas of a new icon/logo...

1. Pointy hat
2. Magic wand
3. .....

Ok, i only have 2 ideas....

It just seems like having a foot for a logo takes away from the professionalism and gives a sense of playfulness / toy .

There MUST be a better alternative...

I don't like the foot either but the real definition is an acronym for 'gnu network object model environment' which is also ugly as far as marketing is concerned but which it isn't all that into anyway.

parkland
June 22nd, 2009, 02:44 AM
So how about a gnome hat?

Someone could make a cool logo around a pointy hat, and have it look nice and sharp.

I realize the mentality of linux is "Well, make one and show us", but unfortunately I'm no artist.

XubuRoxMySox
June 22nd, 2009, 11:57 AM
I think the footprint is completely appropriate for Gnome, because Gnome has such a large "footprint" and needs a lot of resources. Not as bad as KDE (which should probably have an elephant footprint as its logo), but still a resource hog IMO.