PDA

View Full Version : Top Gears' The Stig is....revealed inside this thread!!

hyperdude111
June 21st, 2009, 08:49 PM
After many supposed outings the true identity of "The Stig" was revealed live on Top Gear today.

The Stig was the name given to the anonymous racing driver on the BBC show Top Gear. In the show he was cast as a mysterious "tame racing driver"[1] whose identity is unknown, and who never speaks or removes his helmet on camera. Nonetheless he is fully credited as a presenter, albeit as "The Stig", alongside Jeremy Clarkson, Richard Hammond and James May.

The Stig's primary functions on the show are to post lap times in various cars around the Top Gear Test Track in Dunsfold Park, and to train each week's guest in setting a lap time in the Star in a Reasonably-Priced Car feature on the show. In addition the Stig carries out other driving duties when the need arises.

I couldn't believe it when he lifted of the mask to reveal the greatest F1 driver of all time, Michael Schumacher. I always thought it would be some old film stunt driver, but wow.

monsterstack
June 21st, 2009, 09:04 PM
Jeepers creepers, who saw that one coming? Schumacher moonlighting as a cobbler. I mean, wow.

SuperSonic4
June 21st, 2009, 09:09 PM
Wow, that was unexpected although not really on reflection though

geekygirl
June 21st, 2009, 09:13 PM
Ah yes but is this Top Gear's way of throwing people off the scent?!! ie publicity stunt?!

Either way nice stunt and very cool - now just to wait for it to air here lol

KiwiNZ
June 21st, 2009, 09:36 PM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/entertainment/8111588.stm

BBC link

nowin4me
June 21st, 2009, 09:44 PM
I think they are probably going to "kill him off" like they done with the old stig. That's why they are telling everyone NOW!

teamkiller87
June 21st, 2009, 10:02 PM
Well it was quite a nice bit of TV but obviously just a publicity stunt. There's no way Schumacher has been The White Stig all along because for one he was still in Formula 1 when they first came up with him. You can't honestly think he'd had time for both.

gn2
June 22nd, 2009, 12:06 AM
Schumi stood in for The Stig with that lap in the Black Ferrari.
That's why he was there, because it is Ferrari FXX model 30, the only black one without a stripe.
Who owns FXX 30?
Michael Schumacher.
That's why the lap time was so quick.

solitaire
June 22nd, 2009, 12:33 AM
They have said that "the Stig" is not one person...

When Hammond had his rocket powered accident they had to give the name of everyone there (including the guy playing "The Stig" that day).

They also borrow a lot of their cars so its easy to think that they borrowed Shumacker's car

They usually have the best driver for the car, the only single "stig" was the original Stig (who ***** Black).

Sealbhach
June 22nd, 2009, 12:55 AM
I sincerely doubt Schumacher would have spent all this time being the Stig. I've got to say, F1 became really boring once Schumacher came on the scene because he won every race, all the time, it got really really boring, although he achieved great things I got bored with it.

cdekter
June 22nd, 2009, 04:34 AM
Arrrgh! Thanks for the massive spoiler! Seriously, although I know it's a bit of a joke and he hasn't been the Stig all along, it would have been nice for us plebs in the colonies who haven't seen it yet to keep this kind of information out of your thread title.

Thanks!

fatality_uk
June 22nd, 2009, 10:34 AM
I know of two Stigs!

billgoldberg
June 22nd, 2009, 11:40 AM
I also doubt that Schumi would have done that for so long.

Also, he is most likely one of the most expensive drivers to hire in the world. What would be that point in that if nobody knows who he is?

Just a nice stunt for the new series.

dirtylobster
June 22nd, 2009, 02:13 PM
Arrrgh! Thanks for the massive spoiler! Seriously, although I know it's a bit of a joke and he hasn't been the Stig all along, it would have been nice for us plebs in the colonies who haven't seen it yet to keep this kind of information out of your thread title.

Thanks!

+1

Could a mod please change the title?

Joeb454
June 22nd, 2009, 02:24 PM
And so changed :)

Chilli Bob
June 22nd, 2009, 04:45 PM
There has been many, many stigs over the years. Apart from that F1 test driver who did most of the black Stig, and the touring car driver that did most of the white stig, Nigel Mansel and Damon Hill have been rumoured to have done a couple of stints, but very often the Stig is a test driver from particular the car's factory, or less often, the actual owner of the car being filmed on the day. (seriously, would you trust someone else with your TVR?)

Schumacher was a once off publicity stunt.

EDIZT: Sorry for bad typing, it's been a loooong day.

cc8balla
June 22nd, 2009, 04:50 PM
And so changed :)

Ty. I didn't have a chance to watch TG until an hour ago....after I saw this thread.

OP, be mindful of other people in the future, please?

sydbat
June 22nd, 2009, 04:59 PM
<snip>...the only single "stig" was the original Stig (who ***** Black).Best typo EVER!!

calrogman
June 22nd, 2009, 07:31 PM

kostkon
June 22nd, 2009, 08:57 PM
Ahaha nice catch!

Eclipse.
June 23rd, 2009, 12:33 AM
The Schumacher thing is a joke, the real stig is Ben Collins.Check out youtube, theres a video that pretty much proves it.