PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] HELP with ubuntu !!!!!!!!?

juareza789
June 21st, 2009, 08:17 PM
k i got a new laptop as a gift but it comes withe os linux ubuntu and is a mini laptop its a MSI 1013. i want windows xp on it i already have the cd but the laptop does not have a optical drive so i said ok well i will install using a boot usb drive like i have done with other pc but this laptop will not boot of a usb drive so how can i install windows xp on my machine.:confused:

dannno
June 21st, 2009, 09:32 PM
Try a virtual drive solution, you can boot straight into windows from linux.

I'm sure others here can help with that, i'm here to ask questions..

juareza789
June 21st, 2009, 09:36 PM
cant do that my pc does not have the resources to run like that .

juareza789
June 21st, 2009, 09:38 PM
also do i need to format my usb a certain way because when i tried to run xp install off the usb it wont even recognize my usb

Sef
June 21st, 2009, 11:33 PM
If it has an SD or SDHC hard drive, then this is the way that can tell you how install XP: Windows XP Professional onto SD or SDHC card (http://wiki.eeeuser.com/howto:installxp).

I would advise extreme caution or you will end up with a netbook that does not have any working operating system at all.

If you do want to learn how to use Ubuntu Linux, please post questions in the Absolute Beginner Forum.

juareza789
June 22nd, 2009, 12:27 AM
so it can not be done with usb flash drive

Sef
June 22nd, 2009, 04:11 AM
so it can not be done with usb flash drive
That is correct. The only way for an average person to legally install Microsoft Windows would be with the install cd, which was legally bought, so it has the installer key from Microsoft.

Microsoft does not have LIve CDs. Any links to Microsoft Live CDs would result in the post being jailed and the op given an infraction or warning for illegal links.