PDA

View Full Version : [kubuntu] sudo /etc/init.d/networking stop does not stop networking

SilvaRizla
June 21st, 2009, 05:43 PM
Bit stumped on this one. I'm using a USB Belkin N Wireless with the RT2870 chipset and drivers correctly installed. When I execute /etc/init.d/networking stop I get the Deconfiguring network devices message and it seems to be successful but doesn't actually take the card down (the activity light still flashes) so for instance I can't change the mac address.

sudo /etc/init.d/networking stop
* Deconfiguring network interfaces... [ OK ]
Xdesktop:~$ sudo macchanger --mac=00:16:44:84:F3:89 ra0
Current MAC: XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX (unknown)
ERROR: Can't change MAC: interface up or not permission: Device or resource busy

Any ideas?

Brandon Williams
June 21st, 2009, 06:15 PM
Is your interface configured in /etc/network/interfaces? Or is it managed by network-manager?

If it's network-manager, then running '/etc/init.d/networking stop' will do nothing, because that script uses ifdown, which is only for network interfaces managed out of /etc/network/interfaces. You will need to disable the device using a network-manager control utility.

If the device _is_ in /etc/network/interfaces, then try using 'ifconfig <interface> down', where <interface> is the interface name, such as eth0 or wlan0.