PDA

View Full Version : GNOME's future and theming

Mazza558
June 21st, 2009, 04:45 PM
Let's face it: GNOME 3 is awful as it currently stands, for everyone except netbook users. The convoluted method of launching apps is unnecessary, for example. It'll probably also have some changes to metacity and theming engines, which means the hard work of lots of people, creating some amazing themes (Dust, Shiki and New Wave stand out) might soon be lost.

If GNOME 3 is indeed a step backwards, themers might have to face the fact that their gtkrc and metacity knowledge may soon go to waste in the face of KDE 4.3 and the theming system it uses. If, say, there is a mass exodus from GNOME (as there may soon be if their developers don't get their act together), users might flood towards KDE and force themers to adapt.

I suppose what is uncomfortable for me is the uncertainty over the future of the two main DEs. Small usability changes to GNOME (which I mentioned over in the Karmic Testing subforum) would be enough to keep it modern and competing with KDE to some extent, whilst allowing current themes to continue to evolve. What if we see the end of Murrine? KDE 4.3's impressive but... I don't know. Some of GNOME's themes have a simplicity which KDE hasn't matched yet (apart from Bespin).

Your thoughts?

Giant Speck
June 21st, 2009, 04:50 PM
There are two things that I hope stay the same in GNOME 3.0:

1. Themes can be edited using text files.
2. Pixmap-based themes will still be possible.

K.Y.A
June 21st, 2009, 04:51 PM
Gnome is moving closer to a registry type deal, like in Windows...

K.Y.A
June 21st, 2009, 04:53 PM
I use KDE, so these changes don't effect me, hehe :D

JordyD
June 21st, 2009, 04:56 PM
I'm going to try it before I accept/deny it.

swoll1980
June 21st, 2009, 05:28 PM
This may be the first time ever that I've seen pre-alpha software being bashed. Are you trying to break some kind of record, or something?

Mazza558
June 21st, 2009, 05:42 PM
This may be the first time ever that I've seen pre-alpha software being bashed. Are you trying to break some kind of record, or something?

I'm not too bothered about the specific interface they have going at the moment, even the groundwork and underlying roadmap seems nonsense, and it's more long term plans that I'm bashing.

Dimitriid
June 21st, 2009, 05:47 PM
Fork Gnome if you don't like 3.0

zekopeko
June 21st, 2009, 05:57 PM
I'm not too bothered about the specific interface they have going at the moment, even the groundwork and underlying roadmap seems nonsense, and it's more long term plans that I'm bashing.

what long term plans? any link or are those long term plans just your conjecture?

and as for the theming part: AFAIK they are trying to simplify theming. and there i haven't read anywhere about breaking Gnome 2.x themes; there is nothing saying that you won't be able to use Gnome 2.x themes alongside Gnome 3.x one's.

Islington
June 21st, 2009, 06:01 PM
I cant believe this but, what in the world did you think was discussed at gtkhackfest some months ago? themeing is important, they know that. Hell cimi even got the whole rgba thing on the discussion board.

EDIT: http://aruiz.typepad.com/siliconisland/2009/02/gtk-30-theming.html

RiceMonster
June 21st, 2009, 06:02 PM
I don't get it, it's not even close to done yet. Of course it's not going to be the best thing you've ever used.

Gnome is moving closer to a registry type deal, like in Windows...

I thought it was already there. Have you seen gconf-editor lately?

wersdaluv
June 21st, 2009, 06:03 PM
Losing all the work on the present gtk engines doesn't sound so good. Oh well

Mark76
June 21st, 2009, 06:38 PM
There's always Xfce :)

zekopeko
June 21st, 2009, 06:42 PM
Losing all the work on the present gtk engines doesn't sound so good. Oh well

There's always Xfce :)

i'm amazed how easy it is to make people believe in something without any evidence. is there one credible link in OP's post from Gnome developers affirming OP's flawed opinion?

Mark76
June 21st, 2009, 06:57 PM
No, it's true. They have a website and everything.

You can even find it in the repos if you look really, really hard

swoll1980
June 21st, 2009, 07:05 PM
ZOMG Google chrome for Linux doesn't have support for Flash!!!!! WTF were they thinking!? What a giant step backwards.

Mazza558
June 21st, 2009, 07:41 PM
http://live.gnome.org/GnomeShell/Features

The new GNOME Shell is not a finished product: it is an experiment in-progress. See GnomeShell for more details on how to build and try out the latest GNOME Shell.

Phew! There's perhaps a chance they won't use GNOME-shell at all then?

I know things might change, but these seem pretty solid and comprehensive plans that won't really change that much. That's why I'm saying GNOME 3's not looking all that good at the moment. Future versions will probably be less buggy, faster and more feature-filled, but based on the same flawed concept of taking up the entire screen to launch applications.