PDA

View Full Version : Are you the "Family Geek" ?

sim-value
June 21st, 2009, 09:46 AM
So guys/girls/chicken with yellow necks ...

Are you the guy in your Family which is asked for everything regarding IT stuff ?

I think i definitly am :P (though sometimes it goes on my nerves)

/me <--- yes this is my powerswitch ...

PiriForm
June 21st, 2009, 09:53 AM
With me its the other way round.

My family always try to do something, refuse my help until they finally give up, wherupon i fix the problem.

tuskenraider
June 21st, 2009, 09:57 AM
yeah i am... i frequently run around screaming oh god oh god make it stop when asked about computer issues.

but why isnt my computer fast? i have 500gb of rams(yes RAMS lol)/memory. AAAACCCCKKKK!! LOL

tusken

dragos240
June 21st, 2009, 10:03 AM
Yes. My dad thinks he is, and messes everything up 90% of the time.

stinger30au
June 21st, 2009, 10:03 AM
yep... my wife is the funniest though when her pc running windows dies... she goes off no end

our pcs are of the same spec and she asks if i have the same dramas she does with the pc

i say no, i use ubuntu

i have offered plety of times to backup her email , internet explorer favourites and install ubuntu but she wont have a bar of it

masux594
June 21st, 2009, 10:05 AM
+1.. not only for dad, for the entire family =|

Sysc, A

dragos240
June 21st, 2009, 10:10 AM
You should see my mom. She knows I'm the one to call, but she always feels that she shouldn't call me, and tries to solve the problem herself. This has always messed her computer up. For example, she messed up win xp, because she didn't understand grub (dont ask me how she erased her xp partition.).

Giant Speck
June 21st, 2009, 11:16 AM
Weirdly enough, my fifty-year-old mother is the family geek. She has built two computers from scratch and knows a hell of a lot more than I do, especially about Windows. She also plays World of Warcraft...

Chame_Wizard
June 21st, 2009, 12:00 PM
Yes I am.

thebinaryblob
June 21st, 2009, 12:23 PM
One of several

koleoptero
June 21st, 2009, 12:25 PM
I have the same problem, not only with family but with friends too. They always ask me to fix their malware-choked computers.

Weirdly enough, my fifty-year-old mother is the family geek. She has built two computers from scratch and knows a hell of a lot more than I do, especially about Windows. She also plays World of Warcraft...

Your mom is cool. :)

sharathpaps
June 21st, 2009, 12:31 PM
Oh man, I'm so the family IT guy...

Lukeaxx
June 21st, 2009, 12:35 PM
Yeah, even my family not living in the household come to me for help with their computers and even other electronic products too.... but i dont mind, gives me something to do :P

Amilo1718
June 21st, 2009, 12:36 PM
It runs in the family...
2 for the *nix
1 for the hardware
1 for content-management

so i'm not the only one :)

jarrah-95
June 21st, 2009, 12:38 PM
yes every day i have problems
my mum why isnt this working whated you do ect.
she uses vista (exactly my point)
every week i try to get her to use ubuntu but she wont
looks like im stuck there

billgoldberg
June 21st, 2009, 12:39 PM
Yep.

The family questions are OK. They hardly do something wrong.

It's my friends who get on my nerves with their constant questions.

billgoldberg
June 21st, 2009, 12:40 PM
I have the same problem, not only with family but with friends too. They always ask me to fix their malware-choked computers.

Your mom is cool. :)

I wouldn't exactly call WoW cool.

koleoptero
June 21st, 2009, 12:43 PM
I wouldn't exactly call WoW cool.

My mom can't hold a mouse properly. :P

Does it have to be a cool game? I didn't say WoW is cool, I said his mom is cool. ](*,)

geekygirl
June 21st, 2009, 01:21 PM
lol I get called 'geekygirl' by a few people that know me, usually followed by, can you have a look at my PC/Laptop?!

Tend to get the family questions, especially Mum and her new netbook!

Most of my questions come from the guys I work with directly. We have a bulletin board style setup on the work intranet and I tend to post in there should I feel like and it can result in a few direct emails about one or two things. And the guys who bring their notebooks to work so I can take a look at them and see why after visiting a few pr0n sites their machines are now running really slow..hehe

At the end of the day I really don't mind who I help, or how often I have to help them as it means I get to talk computers, although they do tend to end up with that glazed look over their faces after about 2 minutes of me talking :( :P lol

wgarider
June 21st, 2009, 01:22 PM
but why isnt my computer fast? i have 500gb of rams(yes RAMS lol)/memory. AAAACCCCKKKK!! LOL

tusken

LMAO - that's funny!

sim-value
June 21st, 2009, 01:25 PM
So how much does your Opinion Weigh in Buy Decisions ?

ohbuntu
June 21st, 2009, 01:27 PM
Yep, I sure am. Questions about upgrades, updates, viruses and what not - I'm like the free tech support guy in my family. Heck my cousin who lives across the pond called me once to get recommendations for his PC upgrade.

paulderol
June 21st, 2009, 02:12 PM
since i keep getting asked about stuff, i would imagine so. As people ask me and begin installing gnu/linux variants, my life becomes easier and the things i learn are more useful to me. still can't get mom to switch, but she's a photoshop junkie.

BlazeFire247
June 21st, 2009, 02:44 PM
Yes, but I must say sort of. I usually find out how to fix things on the computer, and usually the person in the family who spends free time at the computer.

ejlal
June 21st, 2009, 03:23 PM
no am not, my brother is the family geek,my thing is i work very well with instructions and i like advantures so when i asked questions i say: i dont know,but i will google it for u if u want. and then ido this and that.which messes their things up even more :D!! (it is broken anyway,so why not!!!! :D:D)

Dimitriid
June 21st, 2009, 03:30 PM
Yes. Unfortunately my family knows that I've work at help desk before, I work with major videogame console support now, that I'm implementing a database for my deparment at work right now for internal tracking of customer satisfaction and quality statistics, I am one of two family members who has a degree in IT but the otherone graduated long ago and went into marketing and management so she doesn't knows anything anymore.

Sadly they keep coming to me with questions and support, yet none of them has attempted to give me an actual IT job when they know I could use one. So nowadays my family Help Desk services are intentionally slow to comply: submit a "ticket" with me today and maybe I'll take a look at it when im on vacations at x-mas.

wersdaluv
June 21st, 2009, 03:35 PM
I am. =)

JordyD
June 21st, 2009, 05:27 PM

See attachment.

Eisenwinter
June 21st, 2009, 06:02 PM
My brothers always mess up their computer, then ask me to fix it. And then, when I install some security utility, or something that I know they need, they complain, saying I "****** things up" or the likes.

JordyD
June 21st, 2009, 09:37 PM
My brothers always mess up their computer, then ask me to fix it. And then, when I install some security utility, or something that I know they need, they complain, saying I "****** things up" or the likes.

Don't serve the ungrateful?

hellion0
June 21st, 2009, 10:41 PM
I'm definitely the family geek. I troubleshoot for them, come out on tech support calls (I don't live with them), or even reinstall the OS when they screw it up beyond repair (Got a couple of MySpace junkies in there.)

I'm even the one that gets called when the VCR (yes, we still have some of those) won't stop flashing 12:00, or when the universal remote needs a code put back in after a battery swap.

evermooingcow
June 21st, 2009, 11:01 PM
I'm the family PC geek. I visit my parents every 6 months to a year and I do a little checkup maintenance on their computer each visit to make sure its running fine. They are good at keeping it malware free though and are actually concerned about security. In fact I don't think I've seen malware on any of their computers before.

What I fix are usually networking related like wireless failures and network printer failures. When they used Windows XP I used to also run maintenance software like ccleaner and defrag but since they switched to Vista I just let it take care of itself.

Jayayess1190
June 22nd, 2009, 05:15 AM
I am. My brother and parents come to me with all their technology problems. I was even the one who researched and bought my brother his own laptop.

juan reyna
June 22nd, 2009, 05:24 AM
i am... and i hate it... all my family and even people at work always ask me what's wrong with their computer it kind of annoys me but i end up helping them anyway lol.....

SerenityKill3r
June 22nd, 2009, 05:50 AM
Yeah, I'm known as the Tech Guy locally, and neighbours and other local people come to see me. In fact, I charge a flat rate of €50 to repair a PC if it's software related, hardware related is €50 + 25% of hardware cost under €100, or 15% of hardware cost over €100. Seems like alot of money, but its cheaper than the alternatives here.

monsterstack
June 22nd, 2009, 05:55 AM
I and my father are neck and neck for geek factor. He knows pretty much everything there is to know about server stuff, but doesn't have a clue when it comes to codecs, devices, compiling and other desktopy stuff. And I know next-to-nothing about networking. We usually manage to work stuff out between us via email when we bugger things up, mind you.

Ms_Angel_D
June 22nd, 2009, 08:07 AM

+1.. not only for dad, for the entire family =|

Sysc, A

lol My father love's to tinker, but he's always screwing something up....So I have to walk him or my sister through fixing it since they live so far away.

etnlIcarus
June 22nd, 2009, 03:08 PM

So I guess the pertinent question is then... is she single?

Anyway, I'm one of the family geeks. I have an elder brother who is also quite tech savy, if a bit of a wanker about it. He also feels compelled to turn fixing stuff into a competition, going so far as to blame me for other people having problems in the first place (apparently it's my fault my sister's PC is infested with malware and is slow because I installed the dreaded firefox!)

sim-value
June 22nd, 2009, 03:41 PM
So I guess the pertinent question is then... is she single?

Anyway, I'm one of the family geeks. I have an elder brother who is also quite tech savy, if a bit of a wanker about it. He also feels compelled to turn fixing stuff into a competition, going so far as to blame me for other people having problems in the first place (apparently it's my fault my sister's PC is infested with malware and is slow because I installed the dreaded firefox!)

Yes tech savy sure ...

etnlIcarus
June 22nd, 2009, 03:46 PM
Yes tech savy sure ...

He is. He just knows as much about setting up Windows sanely (ie. not completely insecure) as I know about networking. His problem isn't that he's dumb or generally ignorant - he's just a massive douchebag.

drawkcab
June 22nd, 2009, 09:37 PM
I'm the linux geek and my brother is the windows geek. As such, no one really bothers me and I end up saying, "I told you so" a lot.

Wiebelhaus
June 22nd, 2009, 09:42 PM
Yea , But I'm not a geek or a nerd.

Wiebelhaus
June 22nd, 2009, 09:43 PM
I'm the linux geek and my brother is the windows geek. As such, no one really bothers me and I end up saying, "I told you so" a lot.

Lol , too funny.

konnorrigby
June 23rd, 2009, 06:54 AM
I am i think

LookTJ
June 23rd, 2009, 08:07 AM
I'm the geek in my family. When they need help or they don't know how to do something, they ask me.

Also very rarely do the Windows computers catch bad viruses.. :) Less trouble for me.

khelben1979
June 23rd, 2009, 09:07 PM
I think so. :-k