PDA

View Full Version : This forum is great but the search sucks

ametalguitarist
June 21st, 2009, 07:43 AM
Everytime I try to search for something I get unrelated stuff as results. I search for kde icons dissapeared and I get bump thread or screenshots for results.

itreius
June 21st, 2009, 07:44 AM
What do you use for searching? The forum's Search option? I generally do all search with Google, and the "site:ubuntuforums.org" prefix in front of the keywords. I usually end up finding whatever I was looking for.

Arquis
June 21st, 2009, 07:52 AM
The most useful and simple thing I learned today. Never thought of that.

I thank you, mister. No sarcasm intended. :)

Eisenwinter
June 21st, 2009, 08:20 AM
I am thankful for having learned that as well. Thank you.

ad_267
June 21st, 2009, 08:30 AM
+1 for Google, the forum search function is pretty much useless.

stinger30au
June 21st, 2009, 10:14 AM
What do you use for searching? The forum's Search option? I generally do all search with Google, and the "site:ubuntuforums.org" prefix in front of the keywords. I usually end up finding whatever I was looking for.

yep, this is the only search function i use on *ANY* forum

Tews
June 21st, 2009, 11:26 AM
I use a custom google specifically for ubuntu ...
Give it a try (http://crunchbang.org/ubuntu-search-engine/)

pelle.k
June 21st, 2009, 01:35 PM
Everytime I try to search for something I get unrelated stuff as results.
The best method, i have found, is to visit a subforum, and search there instead.

I use a custom google specifically for ubuntu ...
Give it a try
Is there something like the search widget in firefox, that one can add to search google using site:ubuntuforums, or that ubuntu specific google search?
I would rather have another search widget, than changing the default search provider in the existing one.

handy
June 21st, 2009, 01:38 PM
I wonder if as the population of the U.F's. grows they will eventually have to use Google as the search engine?

I would think that it would be the easiest solution & take a load of the servers.

MickS
June 21st, 2009, 02:00 PM
I use this site quite often. http://crunchbang.org/ubuntu-search-engine/

Mick

lovinglinux
June 21st, 2009, 02:33 PM
Is there something like the search widget in firefox, that one can add to search google using site:ubuntuforums, or that ubuntu specific google search?
I would rather have another search widget, than changing the default search provider in the existing one.

If you like to search Ubuntu forums using Google Site Search, then download the attached file, extract it to ~/.mozilla/firefox/yourprofile/searchplugins/ and restart Firefox. It will add a new search plugin in the Firefox search bar. It allows you to search Ubuntu forums using Google Site Search, without the need to add "site:ubuntuforms.org". Just type the keywords.

pelle.k
June 21st, 2009, 03:48 PM
If you like to search Ubuntu forums using Google Site Search, then download the attached file
Good job. Thanks.

Greg
June 21st, 2009, 03:49 PM
The reason the search is so bad is because of how vBulletin made it. As a site gets bigger, it takes way longer to search, and sucks a ton of server resources. It's possible to implement Sphinx Search for something faster, but that takes work after every upgrade to the software.

Dimitriid
June 21st, 2009, 03:56 PM
I just google "Ubuntu [whatever I am looking for]" and end up here anyways.

HavocXphere
June 21st, 2009, 08:27 PM
Some vb forums give the user a choice in the search. i.e. Search using google and normal search. Both return results from the forum only.

Not sure why its not that way here.:confused:

Bodsda
June 21st, 2009, 08:48 PM
The google solution is good, but it is just a workaround, it does not change the fact that the search function on this site is rather poor in comparison to others. Perhaps this thread should be moved to feedback to try and get it noticed by ubuntu-geek

Regards,

Bodsda

ametalguitarist
June 22nd, 2009, 05:46 AM
Maybe have the form action point to site:ubuntuforums.org instead of in-home search?