PDA

View Full Version : Windows 7 on separate partition

Menolly
June 21st, 2009, 07:21 AM
I know it's not exactly an Ubuntu problem, but hopefully someone can still help me out. Here's the deal:

I'm trying to install Windows 7 on a separate partition, but it keeps asking me for the CD/DVD driver. I've tried looking online for some such driver, but I'm confused (I don't know if I'm not looking in the right places, if I just don't recognize the one I need, or if it simply doesn't exist). My current course of action is to download another copy of the installation disk (in case it had the drivers but got scratched or something), but after that I have no clue.

Any ideas?

rgd55
June 21st, 2009, 02:23 PM
I hope you find some answers.I had a similar problem
trying to install Windows 7 on a newly built pc with
2 hard drives.I intended to have Windows 7 on the smaller
hd and Ubuntu on the larger hd.The windows 7 dvd would never
load.It would say on the startup screen"cd/dvd"but
never asked "Press any key to boot from cd/dvd".
Anyways Ubuntu installed on the larger drive like I planned,so
its still a work in progress with Windows.
Good Luck

jeffkny
June 21st, 2009, 05:27 PM
Having just gone thru this myself on an hp Pavilion laptop with Vista, I had to use a partitioning program, blow away Vista, shrink the partition into equal parts, then install Win7 first into hd0,sda1. I installed Jaunty into hd0, sda2, and my boot into the MBR (as opposed to other methods). All is well when booting, I have the option of Win7 or Jaunty. I have read many other posts saying things go better when loading Win first, Linux second. My seperate issue has been with Jaunty using my wireless Atheros card without effort.

Jeff