PDA

View Full Version : Couple of tweaks needed

anycon
June 21st, 2009, 03:54 AM
When I go Administration -> Login Window the panel that pops up exceeds the bottom margin of my screen. I can't resize it upwards. Is there a fix?

Also, and this is really trivial: is there a tweak that will automatically 'select all' when I click to the address or search bars in Firefox and Opera?

raymondh
June 21st, 2009, 03:57 AM
When I go Administration -> Login Window the panel that pops up exceeds the bottom margin of my screen. I can't resize it upwards. Is there a fix?

I hope I understand your issue.

Press ALT + left Mouse and drag up until you get the corner to resize

anycon
June 21st, 2009, 04:01 AM
Works like a charm. Nothing on my second question? It would just make browsing quicker.

raymondh
June 21st, 2009, 04:54 AM
Works like a charm. Nothing on my second question? It would just make browsing quicker.

Hi anycon,

let's try (if I understood your 2nd request as well)

-Open firefox
-Type about:config in the address bar
-Browse to the value browser.urlbar.clickselectsall
-Right click and select TOGGLE to change value to TRUE
-Close and see if it works. If not, re-do and change value back to FALSE

Usually, ALT + D will highlight the address or search bar for me.

Hope this helps.

anycon
June 22nd, 2009, 04:19 PM
Thanks very much. When I start up on the multiboot screen I get what seem like two versions of Ubuntu, one identified by a code ending in 13 and one by a code ending in 11. Is that normal?

xtjacob
June 22nd, 2009, 04:22 PM
Yes that is normal. The one ending in 13 is Kernel version 2.6.28.13 which is the latest. The one ending in 11 is kernel 2.6.28.11 which comes with Ubuntu 9.04.

raymondh
June 22nd, 2009, 07:16 PM
Thanks very much. When I start up on the multiboot screen I get what seem like two versions of Ubuntu, one identified by a code ending in 13 and one by a code ending in 11. Is that normal?

You may want to download/install (either thru synaptic or terminal) startup manager. It is a GUI application that allows you options to choose which kernel or OS to boot, how many seconds, etc.

anycon
June 23rd, 2009, 12:46 AM
Thanks again. What's the stablest way to view Flash video on the web? I'm having real trouble with something so simple as YouTube. In Firefox it's laggy and in Opera it doesn't work at all.

raymondh
June 23rd, 2009, 03:25 AM
Thanks again. What's the stablest way to view Flash video on the web? I'm having real trouble with something so simple as YouTube. In Firefox it's laggy and in Opera it doesn't work at all.

You may want to try ubuntu-restricted-extras.

Or, you may want to try the 'official' version from adobe.

You may use terminal, synaptic or add/remove (but only one at a time).