PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] panel-less desktops

blur xc
June 21st, 2009, 03:19 AM
How do you guys deal w/ desktops that have no panels? I love the clean look, but don't you need them for their functionality?

I'm working out my awn dock- maybe I'll also try the cairo dock too, but how does that replace the drop down menus?

thanks,
BM

konqueror7
June 21st, 2009, 03:32 AM
never been a fan of docks really, they seem to waste space for looks...especially when you only put several launchers in it, wasting almost 20px oh height and half the screen size?:o

well, the last time i tried was AWN and GnomeDo, which if geared with the right plugins, can be worth as a replaceable to the panels.

Marlonsm
June 21st, 2009, 03:42 AM
I think you can out an Icon on AWN to access the Applications, Places and System menu.

But I'm not sure about how to get the panels back after you delete both.

konqueror7
June 21st, 2009, 03:47 AM
I think you can out an Icon on AWN to access the Applications, Places and System menu.

But I'm not sure about how to get the panels back after you delete both.

right-click, "New Panel"...:)

JK3mp
June 21st, 2009, 03:50 AM
I find having no panels ALOT better. I set gmrun to alt+f2 in AwesomeWM and just alt+f2 type program. Or set Keyboard shorcuts to main programs i use (terminal,Firefox,OpenOffice,Evolution Mail) and thats it. Quick Mod4+T opens terminal, Mod4+F opens firefox and so on. 2 keystrokes rather than click scroll, click click.Click scroll find etc etc.

kerry_s
June 21st, 2009, 04:30 AM
i like panels, i use 2, 1 regular & 1 autohide.

JK3mp
June 21st, 2009, 04:59 AM
No offense. But i can't help but note how UGLY that screenie is. Not many go that plain. Looks windows 98ish. :p

kerry_s
June 21st, 2009, 08:14 AM
No offense. But i can't help but note how UGLY that screenie is. Not many go that plain. Looks windows 98ish. :p

:lolflag:
i keep it simple, i'm running on 450mhz 256mb ram, i prefer the resources go to what i use rather than making things look good.
i try not to have it totally butt ugly, but i admit sometimes i do dress it up, then eventually just go back to plain, guess i'm just use to it.