PDA

View Full Version : psp linux

ljd48590
June 20th, 2009, 09:12 PM
has anyone put linux on a psp? if so how and what distro.

starcraft.man
June 20th, 2009, 09:34 PM
Why would you want to?

If I recall right I remember seeing a hack that got Win 95 to boot up on a PSP but it was REALLY REALLY slow. Simply put, the PSP isn't designed to run a complete PC environment. Just the xmb interface and games/music/video/pics and it's internet functions. Besides which, you'd have better luck looking around a PSP hacking site.

hyperdude111
June 20th, 2009, 10:06 PM
To run these you need a psp with custom firmware.

I am a huge psp homebrew fan and I went through a faze of running PC operating systems on the psp and came to this conclusion.

Tested
Mac OS 7.1 -8.1 using basiliskII 200mb
Windows 3.1 using dosbox 50mb
Windows 95 using dosbox 275mb
Windows 98 using dosbox 325mb

It is not worth the memory card space and the effort needed to run these for the small reward you get. MacOS is the best of your options, some games work and it boots in about 3mins. Win 3.1 is also good, a 1min boot time but it is quite a limited OS. Win95 and 98 are a waste of time, boot times on a phat are about 7 mins and on the slim about 5, most apps dont run only notepad and minesweeper work.

The problem is that the psp's hardware is too bad to run these Os's. A 333mhz cpu and 8mb (on phat) 32mb (on slim) of Ram is poor. the functionality you may hope to get from these Os's can be better achieved with homebrew apps designed for the psp. Such as irshell and pspvnc.

It is a fun project and i enjoyed doing it BUT dont expect any usability from this except for minesweeper and chess.

hessiess
June 20th, 2009, 11:44 PM

I am a huge psp homebrew fan and I went through a faze of running PC operating systems on the psp and came to this conclusion.

Tested

It is not worth the memory card space and the effort needed to run these for the small reward you get. MacOS is the best of your options, some games work and it boots in about 3mins. Win 3.1 is also good, a 1min boot time but it is quite a limited OS. Win95 and 98 are a waste of time, boot times on a phat are about 7 mins and on the slim about 5, most apps dont run only notepad and minesweeper work.

The problem is that the psp's hardware is too bad to run these Os's. A 333mhz cpu and 8mb (on phat) 32mb (on slim) of Ram is poor. the functionality you may hope to get from these Os's can be better achieved with homebrew apps designed for the psp. Such as irshell and pspvnc.

It is a fun project and i enjoyed doing it BUT dont expect any usability from this except for minesweeper and chess.

Those operating systems are intended for i386 hardware(with the exception of mac os), which requires the overhead of emulation on other architectures. Theoretically the Linux kernel could be ported to run on the PSP directly, which would have substantially less overhead and would be substantially lighter and faster.

SerenityKill3r
June 21st, 2009, 12:14 AM
Those operating systems are intended for i386 hardware(with the exception of mac os), which requires the overhead of emulation on other architectures. Theoretically the Linux kernel could be ported to run on the PSP directly, which would have substantially less overhead and would be substantially lighter and faster.

I think DSL or TinyCore would run brilliantly on it.

dragos240
June 21st, 2009, 12:20 AM
Turn down your sound, it's a tad loud! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eb_88CEuoMA&feature=related)

Grant A.
June 21st, 2009, 12:25 AM

Tested

What about Ångström?

starcraft.man
June 21st, 2009, 12:30 AM
Turn down your sound, it's a tad loud! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eb_88CEuoMA&feature=related)

User must be DEAF!!!!

Cool, I still think it's rather pointless given the meek hardware on the PSP, small screen resolution and lack of keyboard. It is good for bragging rights though, about it.

Dark Aspect
June 21st, 2009, 04:56 AM

Thats not actually Ubuntu running on the PSP, its merely a Linux shell. I have a PSP and I looked into this but really whats the point? Once you get a custom firmware you can do almost anything with homebrew. The PSP's hardware is simply not fast enough to run a full fledge general purpose OS, 333 Mhz is great but the 32 MB of ram is not enough to run crap.