PDA

View Full Version : Heartwarming Ubuntu Story

sharathpaps
June 20th, 2009, 09:09 PM
Look What I stumbled upon!!!

Link (http://helpmerick.com/senior-uses-ubuntu-system-14-months-trouble-free.htm)

Honestly, I can't stop smiling. :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Ms_Angel_D
June 20th, 2009, 09:39 PM
That was a nice story, thanks for sharing :D

juancarlospaco
June 20th, 2009, 09:55 PM
So Real... its a real Ubuntu story, just work.

Sealbhach
June 20th, 2009, 10:42 PM
Yeah, I installed Hardy on my brother's laptop about a year ago after he had to pay around $100 to get it working again due to viruses. This guy doesn't even know how to post a link in an email, he just writes "Google for _____" instead.:D

Anyway, he hasn't had any problems, none whatsoever. I'm amazed. He did ask me about a digital camera he bought, he was wondering if he could get Linux software for it because it came with a Windows CD. I said "why don't you just plug it in and see?" And it worked fine.

The Real Dave
June 21st, 2009, 07:20 PM
This year in my school, my year did this thing where we taught elderly people how to use computers. Turned out to be a great project, some of them really got into it. The school's IT guy and I worked together to refurbish 10 old Dell PCs (1Ghz PentiumIII's, 128Mb RAM, nothing special), including keyboards and monitors. He wanted to put W2k Pro on them, but they were so unbelievably slow, almost non usable. So I eventually managed to persuade him to let me put Linux on them (he's got nothing against Linux, just reckons that SUSE is better than Ubuntu, seeing as the school/his server runs SUSE. He himself is a Mac user). So I installed Xubuntu on them. We donated these 10 systems to the local sheltered housing and nursing home, and after their graduation ceremony, gave them a final class in the differences between the Windows systems they had been taught on, and the Xubuntu desktop (11 school computers booting Xubuntu live :D). They all got it pretty much straight away. Now their loving their free computers, and dont need to worry about the security problems in W2K.

Worked out well for me too, I managed to get two computers free from the school, and power user access to the school server :D Which means no proxy server for me :D

Arup
June 21st, 2009, 07:43 PM
Most of the people I have installed Ubuntu for are the elderly folks in my neighborhood and I get rewards for doing that almost everyday.

monsterstack
June 21st, 2009, 08:44 PM
I've installed Ubuntu for a few people as well. I should start a tally chart someplace. I can totally relate to this story. When I see my friends and relatives now who use Ubuntu, I see them getting on with their lives. Linux is invisible to them, which is just as it should be. It does make me feel smug, yup.

clonne4crw
June 23rd, 2009, 06:28 PM
I've gotten a few family members to switch to Ubuntu Linux and other distros. While the transition from Windows may not have been as smooth, they are definitely happier with Linux.

Nice story. :D