PDA

View Full Version : new to ebay and i need advice

lumberjackal
June 20th, 2009, 08:35 PM
im trying to make a little extra money by learning to do ebay efficiently. I only have one feedback and im selling electronics, starting with laptops. I have hp nc6120 laptops up for sale. and they're 200 dollars with free shipping.

i have no idea what sells or doesn't sell on ebay for any amount of money. most buy-it-now featured laptops of the same model are 230 or more and most auctions are about 30 dollars less. should i start low and let the bids go up? or is the price okay? im sorry if this counts as spam i don't think ubuntu has a spam category

gn2
June 20th, 2009, 08:47 PM
Use the advanced search to look for completed listings.
You'll then know what they actually sell for.
Or don't sell as the case may be.

starcannon
June 20th, 2009, 10:07 PM
im trying to make a little extra money by learning to do ebay efficiently. I only have one feedback and im selling electronics, starting with laptops. I have hp nc6120 laptops up for sale. and they're 200 dollars with free shipping.

i have no idea what sells or doesn't sell on ebay for any amount of money. most buy-it-now featured laptops of the same model are 230 or more and most auctions are about 30 dollars less. should i start low and let the bids go up? or is the price okay? im sorry if this counts as spam i don't think ubuntu has a spam category

It may be useful to buy some stuff on ebay as well, just to start a feedback score going, yeah it will be as a buyer, but it still gets you a number up there. One could also ask a few friends to buy stuff from you, getting your seller rating up, reimburse them for the cost, and all your out is the auction fees to buy a few rating points.

Ultimately on the "how much to charge" problem; its really good to sit down with a calculator, figure out the complete cost of overhead, viz. initial investment, auction fees, labor, etc., and then figure out how much profit to tack on to that number to make this worth while to you.

GL, it can be fun, but it will take a bit of initial investment in both time and money.

Sealbhach
June 20th, 2009, 10:51 PM
i have no idea what sells or doesn't sell on ebay for any amount of money.

Have a look at some items similar to what you want to sell and put them on your "watch this item" list. You'll get an idea of how much things are selling for.

HappyFeet
June 20th, 2009, 11:07 PM
I think ebay is a waste of time and effort. Craigsist is the way to go. I sell lots of computers and other stuff on there, and have never had a problem selling anything. Sometimes I'll get a call within minutes of listing something. Plus, you don't have to ship anything, because the customers come to you.

I prefer to show my phone number on craigslist and NOT show an email address. I have never had anyone abuse my phone #, but have had my email severely abused.