PDA

View Full Version : bored2k - half man, half super moderator?

Anita Bath
January 19th, 2006, 08:10 AM
Faster to a post than speeding broadband...
More powerful than a wiki page...
Able to leap forum sections in a single bound...
Look, up in the forum, it's a post, it's a reply, it's super moderator!
http://img39.imageshack.us/img39/6486/bored2k9il.th.jpg (http://img39.imageshack.us/my.php?image=bored2k9il.jpg)

BoyOfDestiny
January 19th, 2006, 08:19 AM
http://img39.imageshack.us/img39/6486/bored2k9il.th.jpg (http://img39.imageshack.us/my.php?image=bored2k9il.jpg)

:) I was expecting some form of power puff girl...

Actually, anyone know why a lot of the mods have avatars based on them?

xequence
January 19th, 2006, 01:30 PM
And half meddling mod power abuser =O

Just wait, he'll edit out this post when he sees it.

macewan
January 19th, 2006, 01:44 PM
maybe if he used all that free time used to create that graphic & helped others someone would draw a picture of him/her.

PatrickMay16
January 19th, 2006, 01:51 PM
Actually, anyone know why a lot of the mods have avatars based on [Powerpuff Girls]?

One of the administrators is a graphic artist who is interested in the Powerpuff Girls. She created some Powerpuff Girls avatars for herself, and people liked them so they started making their own/asking this particular administrator to make some for them.

Anita Bath, you certainly seem to like Bored2k a lot. I really like that image, by the way.

prizrak
January 19th, 2006, 01:55 PM
Rofl

kassetra
January 19th, 2006, 02:07 PM
One of the administrators is a graphic artist who is interested in the Powerpuff Girls. She created some Powerpuff Girls avatars for herself, and people liked them so they started making their own/asking this particular administrator to make some for them.

Anita Bath, you certainly seem to like Bored2k a lot. I really like that image, by the way.

Hmmm... pretty close. ;) wow. :)

I'm actually a User Interface developer/designer... graphic artist is my super power. ;) HA.

I made my original avatar ages ago... because I like the design of the powerpuff girls... and ok, I like the series too. heh.

And I have been making avatars for fun for any staff member that wants one. :KS

I try to make them fun.

bored2k is TEH BPMB! Seriously... he is a fabulous super power.... he just hides his cape.

kassetra
January 19th, 2006, 02:09 PM

Just wait, he'll edit out this post when he sees it.

why should he do that?

then people wouldn't see you're a half meddling mod abuser. ;)

Gandalf
January 19th, 2006, 02:11 PM
WT!! :o

Magneto
January 19th, 2006, 02:29 PM
Hello Magneto it appears that you have not posted on our forums in several weeks, why not take a few moments to ask a question, help provide a solution or just engage in a conversation with another member in any one of our forums.

linbetwin
January 19th, 2006, 02:36 PM
Kassetra, so you're still using Hoary?

YourSurrogateGod
January 19th, 2006, 02:39 PM
Hehehe...

Don't forget anime addict.

kassetra
January 19th, 2006, 02:57 PM
Kassetra, so you're still using Hoary?

Yes. Breezy was not a feasible option for my production system (after numerous tests in virtual machines.)

Albeit, a very, VERY customized version of Hoary.

xequence
January 19th, 2006, 03:13 PM
why should he do that?

then people wouldn't see you're a half meddling mod abuser. ;)

Why should he do that? He shouldent. But he did. Im guessing to win an argument that wasnt even an argument. Which is pretty pathetic as I am horrible at arguing. He has edited my posts many times. He is not very nice =O

And noone seems to care, so I have to post my opinions so people know them =P (If thats meddling, then fine, but I was always under the impression meddling involved getting into something that doesent effect you or something like that, and this does effect me, so heh.)

psychicdragon
January 19th, 2006, 03:16 PM
Hehehe...

No Kidding. I wonder what his post count would be if it included all his posts in the Otaku thread as well. ;)

Also, what comic-book is this from?

kassetra
January 19th, 2006, 03:18 PM
Why should he do that? He shouldent. But he did. Im guessing to win an argument that wasnt even an argument. Which is pretty pathetic as I am horrible at arguing. He has edited my posts many times. He is not very nice =O
ok, you can stop right there. In accordance with the guidelines, please refrain from personal attacks.

xequence
January 19th, 2006, 03:23 PM
ok, you can stop right there. In accordance with the guidelines, please refrain from personal attacks.

See? I was telling you the problem, and you overlooked it prefering to go and get mad at me telling you the problem.

Heh. Whatever. Ill stop talking, its useless to even try -.-

kassetra
January 19th, 2006, 03:26 PM
See? I was telling you the problem, and you overlooked it prefering to go and get mad at me telling you the problem.

Heh. Whatever. Ill stop talking, its useless to even try -.-

No, I asked you not to make a personal attack. You can choose to feel that I overlooked what you were saying and that I got mad - but the truth is I saw a personal attack and asked you to follow the guidelines.

Also, this discussion would be hijacking this thread.

Gandalf
January 19th, 2006, 04:18 PM

And noone seems to care, so I have to post my opinions so people know them =P (If thats meddling, then fine, but I was always under the impression meddling involved getting into something that doesent effect you or something like that, and this does effect me, so heh.)
Why u are attacking Mods personaly on public topic? dont you understand for god sakes how hard it is to be Admin/Mods and take decisions according to Guidelines? have u ever been a mod on a large forum like ubuntuforums? if not, i doubt u would understand then :( and i advise you to keep personal stuff in Private Messages!!!!

That's all i wanted to say, if i were u, instead of being mad and having such behaviour, i would respect him because without mods, the forum would be a nasty place to visit!!! trust me;)

WildTangent
January 19th, 2006, 04:19 PM
BORED2K FTW!!!!1!!one

Sorry...but bored2k is just too awesome :D

-Wild

mstlyevil
January 19th, 2006, 04:28 PM
bored2k is king of the world!

briancurtin
January 19th, 2006, 05:35 PM
dont you understand for god sakes how hard it is to be Admin/Mods and take decisions according to Guidelines? have u ever been a mod on a large forum like ubuntuforums? if not, i doubt u would understand then :(
i was a moderator of a much larger site than this (more total users, more current ly online/posting), moving at probably 5 times the pace, and it is not hard. honestly, im not sure where people get the idea that it is hard. maybe this site (and i mean this site as in vBulletin, or whatever is behind it) makes it hard or something, but moderating in itself is not some daunting task that requires every ounce of blood and sweat in your body or something.

that is the only piece of the post, and thread, i am replying to. i have nothing to say about the rest of it, or the situation talked about on the second page.

Lovechild
January 19th, 2006, 06:24 PM
I prefer to remain agnostic when it comes to bored2k' super powers

Gandalf
January 19th, 2006, 08:50 PM
i was a moderator of a much larger site than this (more total users, more current ly online/posting), moving at probably 5 times the pace, and it is not hard. honestly, im not sure where people get the idea that it is hard. maybe this site (and i mean this site as in vBulletin, or whatever is behind it) makes it hard or something, but moderating in itself is not some daunting task that requires every ounce of blood and sweat in your body or something.

that is the only piece of the post, and thread, i am replying to. i have nothing to say about the rest of it, or the situation talked about on the second page.
:-\"

xequence
January 19th, 2006, 08:59 PM
Why u are attacking Mods personaly on public topic? dont you understand for god sakes how hard it is to be Admin/Mods and take decisions according to Guidelines? have u ever been a mod on a large forum like ubuntuforums? if not, i doubt u would understand then :( and i advise you to keep personal stuff in Private Messages!!!!

I do understand. I was a mod on another site. It didnt have just as many members at UF.org but it did have almost that. It really wasnt that hard =P The hardest thing I believe is to sort out fights.

This thread is personal. Its about bored2k. I am talking about bored2k. The only difference is while many people like bored2k (which is fine, its all opinion, I know many people arnt that fond of me :P), I dont.

That's all i wanted to say, if i were u, instead of being mad and having such behaviour, i would respect him because without mods, the forum would be a nasty place to visit!!! trust me;)

I wouldent have to be mad and have "such behaviour" if the person I am mad at didnt do the things I dont like. (Trying to be general here, as to not set off the admins over me making "personal attacks").

Honestly, thats like getting mad at someone for sueing a company that mistreated them!

KiwiNZ
January 19th, 2006, 09:20 PM
Wow its a beautiful day. The Sun is shining , the birds are singing and the stream in my backyard is doing its glistening dance over the rocks.:)

Gandalf
January 19th, 2006, 09:23 PM
@xequence do you feel that spending hours a day just looking on what has been posted today and try to arrange them? do you think that is just like u are doin' here? nahhh man it's not :)

Can this topic be locked please? i feel it's going to a critical status :lol:

aysiu
January 19th, 2006, 09:24 PM
im not sure where people get the idea that it is hard. maybe this site (and i mean this site as in vBulletin, or whatever is behind it) makes it hard or something, but moderating in itself is not some daunting task that requires every ounce of blood and sweat in your body or something. I think for the most part you're right, but it also depends on what tasks you decide to take on as a moderator and how volatile your forum gets.

graabein
January 20th, 2006, 12:15 AM
Nice picture! Looks like some Marvel stuff or is it DC?

Anyway. I liked bored2k better when he had that laughing kitty avatar. That always cracked me up. It deserves a re-run!

:D

ubuntu27
January 20th, 2006, 01:27 AM
Wow!~ Nice PIc!!

:D Wonder what he (bored2k) will say :D

xequence
January 20th, 2006, 01:40 AM
@xequence do you feel that spending hours a day just looking on what has been posted today and try to arrange them? do you think that is just like u are doin' here? nahhh man it's not :)

Can this topic be locked please? i feel it's going to a critical status :lol:

If you spend hours a day on a site then you are a good canditate to be a moderator. You go around doing your normal posting, while if you see anything breaking the rules you stop it. Its not like you need to dedicate any extra time to moderate... Only someone that likes a site enough to be on it hours a day would be a mod.

But please. I dont feel like arguing over how hard it is to be a mod. I think its relitavly easy while you dont. You know im not gonna convince you, and I know youre not gonna convince me.

Vorian
January 20th, 2006, 04:23 AM

"It's probably the best drawing I've ever done."
~ Napoleon Dynamite

Iandefor
January 20th, 2006, 04:52 AM
Bored2K is awesome... but I'm surprised at his silence in this thread.

Linux BASHer
January 20th, 2006, 09:07 AM

I only hang around here now and then, and maybe I shouldn't get involved in this thread, but I have to say having an opinion, even about not liking another person on the board, particularly a moderator (he is a "public authority figure" here), is not a personal attack.

This is a forum, and people should be able to express themselves, as long as they are civil and respectful, without fear of being censored. I see no attack, incivility or disrespect on xequence's part.

I am quite surprised to see censorship being considered on a board about Open-Source software.

Bandit
January 20th, 2006, 09:24 AM
I am just happy it wasnt another power puff girl......

hen3rz
January 20th, 2006, 10:22 AM
Anita Bath
Ubuntu Green Coffee Beans

Beans: 0

How is it she has 0 beans when she clearly made a post... Im confused...

kassetra
January 20th, 2006, 10:26 AM
I am just happy it wasnt another power puff girl......

Hey now! I make a lot of rowdyruff boy avatars... they're not powerpuff *girls* .... in fact... mine is the only girl.

kassetra
January 20th, 2006, 10:27 AM
How is it she has 0 beans when she clearly made a post... Im confused...

Posts do not equal Beans.
The community chat doesn't count toward Beans.

sapo
January 20th, 2006, 10:56 AM
Hehehe...

And a full time biba :mrgreen:

xequence
January 20th, 2006, 01:24 PM
I only hang around here now and then, and maybe I shouldn't get involved in this thread, but I have to say having an opinion, even about not liking another person on the board, particularly a moderator (he is a "public authority figure" here), is not a personal attack.

This is a forum, and people should be able to express themselves, as long as they are civil and respectful, without fear of being censored. I see no attack, incivility or disrespect on xequence's part.

I am quite surprised to see censorship being considered on a board about Open-Source software.

Finally! Someone with some sense =)

I nominate you to be a mod =O

KiwiNZ
January 20th, 2006, 08:01 PM
When did open source software equal no censorship or moderation ?

xequence if you have an issue please use the correct proceedure and post your issue in the Resolution Centre. Please do not hijack threads with vague statements about Moderators.

As for bored2k he is a fantastic moderator who puts in many hours, free to make this forum a better place for all users.His contribution is very valuable and very appreciated.

dosed150
January 20th, 2006, 08:06 PM
i think we should add modest to bored2k's super powers he hasnt been in here

xequence
January 20th, 2006, 09:18 PM
Please do not hijack threads with vague statements about Moderators.

I stopped talking awhile ago, but Gandalf (who is an admin/mod/whatever) brought it back up =P

We both know its not hijacking this thread though ;)

My posts on this topic are stopped... Unless someone brings it up again.

Anita Bath
January 20th, 2006, 09:35 PM
As for bored2k he is a fantastic moderator who puts in many hours, free to make this forum a better place for all users.His contribution is very valuable and very appreciated.
Absolutely! Which is why I wanted to show my appreciation for his many helpful technical posts here. Just check his post history.

Although I've been tinkering with some comic designs of late and thought I'd immortalize bored2k here, it goes without saying that many on the staff and other key forum members here devote much of their time in doing the same. For that, we thank you all...

earobinson
January 20th, 2006, 10:42 PM
What I want to know is what is your primary forum account Anita Bath?

Bandit
January 20th, 2006, 11:27 PM
Hey now! I make a lot of rowdyruff boy avatars... they're not powerpuff *girls* .... in fact... mine is the only girl.
LOL... Sorry,, Kinda hard to tell... They must be from California...

Linux BASHer
January 20th, 2006, 11:29 PM
When did open source software equal no censorship or moderation ?

It just seems to me that the Open-Source spirit advocates expression and not censorship. However, I don't mean to suggest that there shouldn't be any moderation on the boards.

I can't say otherwise, and I certainly have no quarrel with anyone here (nor do I wish to have). I just thought the response to xequence's statement was a little exaggerated; It didn't seem like a malicious statement. That's all.

Lord Illidan
January 20th, 2006, 11:34 PM
Nice guy, bored2k.. I haven't seen a single admin I don't like on this forum...they are not arrogant, they don't abuse their powers(as far as I can see) and they like helping. Admirable!

Bandit
January 20th, 2006, 11:35 PM
Nice guy, bored2k.. I haven't seen a single admin I don't like on this forum...they are not arrogant, they don't abuse their powers(as far as I can see) and they like helping. Admirable!
I agree as well...

ubuntu27
January 20th, 2006, 11:51 PM
Where is the hero? We want to interview him!! :D

kassetra
January 21st, 2006, 12:30 AM
I can't say otherwise, and I certainly have no quarrel with anyone here (nor do I wish to have). I just thought the response to xequence's statement was a little exaggerated; It didn't seem like a malicious statement. That's all.

From the Guidelines:
Flaming And Condescending Messages: Messages personally attacking, calling names, or otherwise harassing or being condescending to another forum member or any ethnic or religious group will be remove

This one, I figured the user was just being rude and wouldn't hijack the thread with more personal attacks - so I 'joked' back.

This one, I asked the user to stop, as it was clear that the user would not refrain from making personal attacks toward the person that is the theme of the thread.

So calling a staff member a power abuser and then stating that they are using their mod privs to 'win' arguments and then calling them pathetic isn't a personal attack? I'm sorry, but in my book that is a personal attack and I asked for it to stop, as it was clearly in violation of not only our forum guidelines but also the CoC which calls for all users to show respect to one another.

I would do the same if I had seen a user direct those attacks to anyone else on this forum as well.

However, this issue has hijacked this thread long enough and more posts of this nature will be moved from this thread.

mstlyevil
January 21st, 2006, 12:46 AM
However, this issue has hijacked this thread long enough and more posts of this nature will be moved from this thread.

Thank you!

Btw kassetra, Should we call you the moderator of steel?

earobinson
January 21st, 2006, 01:10 AM
From the Guidelines:
Flaming And Condescending Messages: Messages personally attacking, calling names, or otherwise harassing or being condescending to another forum member or any ethnic or religious group will be remove

This one, I figured the user was just being rude and wouldn't hijack the thread with more personal attacks - so I 'joked' back.

This one, I asked the user to stop, as it was clear that the user would not refrain from making personal attacks toward the person that is the theme of the thread.

So calling a staff member a power abuser and then stating that they are using their mod privs to 'win' arguments and then calling them pathetic isn't a personal attack? I'm sorry, but in my book that is a personal attack and I asked for it to stop, as it was clearly in violation of not only our forum guidelines but also the CoC which calls for all users to show respect to one another.

I would do the same if I had seen a user direct those attacks to anyone else on this forum as well.

kassetra , I think you should fork this thread to the resoultion center. That would probaly be best for all.

majikstreet
January 21st, 2006, 01:23 AM
bored2k rocks.

poofyhairguy
January 21st, 2006, 04:48 AM
Hello Magneto it appears that you have not posted on our forums in several weeks, why not take a few moments to ask a question, help provide a solution or just engage in a conversation with another member in any one of our forums.

Welcome back.

poofyhairguy
January 21st, 2006, 04:50 AM
Thank you!

Btw kassetra, Should we call you the moderator of steel?

She admin of steel. I call her that already.

poofyhairguy
January 21st, 2006, 04:51 AM
What a love fest for bored!

(glad it was not me!)

I don't know if he will actually post in this thread though.

Should- he is a good Ubuntu community member.

mstlyevil
January 21st, 2006, 04:52 AM
She admin of steel. I call her that already.

Right on. I had a brain fart when I posted that comment. Admin of Steel she is.

earobinson
January 21st, 2006, 07:16 AM
I think that all or the regular users are great Ubuntu community members, honestly there isent anyone I have ever really had a problem with.

EDIT: other than 23megs, cuz he always posts before me :( lol jk (just making sure)

kassetra
January 21st, 2006, 07:16 AM
Right on. I had a brain fart when I posted that comment. Admin of Steel she is.

:shock::shock:

erh, ahem, back to bored2k now please.

nothing to see here people, move along.

akurashy
January 24th, 2006, 01:04 AM

Then if you have a personal problem with him go and take it to private message . like kiwinz said if you have a problem you can just put it in resolution centre or discuss with bored2k in PM. no need to bring this things in the thread

Linux BASHer
January 24th, 2006, 04:46 AM
This thread has not been "hijacked" (quite an aggressive word for such a small thing). If you're going to allow threads on how great the moderators here are, then it is only fair to accept replies with opposing views or concerns as well. If the topic had been how great GIMP is then allowing opposing views and criticism on GIMP would have been simply fair. The topic here was bored2k as a moderator.

Imagine that on a public forum about my city someone started a thread about how great this particular police officer (that is a public authority figure, like the moderators and Admins are here) is. But then I cannot say the least critical thing about this officer in that tread or in the forum at all. That is censorship and it is wrong. If you are to have a policy about no threads on other users, including mods, then you should be fair about it, and not allow *ANY* threads about other users.

I didn't see xequence attacking bored2k as a person or calling him names. I saw xequence criticizing some of bored2k practices as a moderator. xequence "doesn't like him" and thinks that he "is not very nice" because of what he does as a moderator. This is a far cry from a personal attack. And it seemed fair enough, considering the topic.

xequence might be (and for all I know can be) totally off and bored2k may be a great moderator just doing who he should. My issue is not with bored2k at all. I don't really know him, so I don't have an opinion on him and I have no problem with him or anyone else on this board. However, it seems alarming to me that the mere mention of the smallest criticism about a moderator here elicits such a dramatic response from an administrator.

It is certainly in your power to move or censor my post here, but as is my entire point, do you really think it's right to do so?

earobinson
January 24th, 2006, 05:08 AM
This thread has not been "hijacked" (quite an aggressive word for such a small thing). If you're going to allow threads on how great the moderators here are, then it is only fair to accept replies with opposing views or concerns as well. If the topic had been how great GIMP is then allowing opposing views and criticism on GIMP would have been simply fair. The topic here was bored2k as a moderator.

Imagine that on a public forum about my city someone started a thread about how great this particular police officer (that is a public authority figure, like the moderators and Admins are here) is. But then I cannot say the least critical thing about this officer in that tread or in the forum at all. That is censorship and it is wrong. If you are to have a policy about no threads on other users, including mods, then you should be fair about it, and not allow *ANY* threads about other users.

I didn't see xequence attacking bored2k as a person or calling him names. I saw xequence criticizing some of bored2k practices as a moderator. xequence "doesn't like him" and thinks that he "is not very nice" because of what he does as a moderator. This is a far cry from a personal attack. And it seemed fair enough, considering the topic.

xequence might be (and for all I know can be) totally off and bored2k may be a great moderator just doing who he should. My issue is not with bored2k at all. I don't really know him, so I don't have an opinion on him and I have no problem with him or anyone else on this board. However, it seems alarming to me that the mere mention of the smallest criticism about a moderator here elicits such a dramatic response from an administrator.

It is certainly in your power to move or censor my post here, but as is my entire point, do you really think it's right to do so?
This is a very good point, and I think you are right people should be able to constructively criticize anything, from gimp to mods, however it most be done in a constructive way, for example saying 'modZ is a stupid mod cuz he deleated all my post' Is not very helpfull to anyone. But a use should be able to say that 'ModZ deleated my post about X but I want to know why' or 'ModZ deleated my post about Y and I want it back' We however have a place for that in the Resolution Center (http://ubuntuforums.org/forumdisplay.php?f=123) this is a place where you are free to protest moderator action. It also keeps flaming to a minimum because it is a one on one section.

Also if you want to discuss the forum rules you can do it in the Ubuntuforums Site Discussion (http://ubuntuforums.org/forumdisplay.php?f=48) section.

I do not see the point in a user posting that userF sucks it is not helpfull. and we have the correct sections in place to deal with any user issues IMO

Hope this helps.

As I understand the situation xequence has decided that the problem has been resolved. But I encourage any users that are having problems to post in the resoultion center and not gunk up thereds with flamewars.

carl13
January 24th, 2006, 05:10 AM

Discussing a person and a program are not the same. Also, I agree with how this post has been moderated because I believe that it is in line with the rules/expectations of this forum. It would be a lot easier to let things go under the guise of free speech. However, Ubuntu Forums have a great reputation and I believe that is the result of not only its users but also the care taken by the moderators to not allow behavior that is deemed inappropriate.