PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] cut&paste Vs. ctrlX/V ctrlC - problem(?)

gilk
June 20th, 2009, 05:10 PM
When I do ctrlX/C in one application (lets say - firefox) and then ctrlV in another (such as thunderbird), it does absolutely nothing!!!
I need to right click and chose copy and then in the other app. again, right click and paste...

is that normal? is it a problem? then how to fix it?

TIA
Gil

Chevanova
June 20th, 2009, 06:43 PM
i have also noticed this, it hasnt really been a problem so far but if there was a way to fix it, it would be nice.
Maybe ubuntu has different key bindings for copy/cut/paste than windows, im not entirely sure

mcduck
June 21st, 2009, 08:27 AM
It should work without problems as long as you keep both applications running (so don't close the first program after copying, or you'll loose what you just copied. There is no actual clipboard unless you install one, things are copied directly from source to destination.)

But if you can't get copy/paste to work, use primary selection (the Unix/Linux-style copypaste) which is also available. It's easy, just highlight what you want to copy and then middle-click to paste it where you want.

gilk
June 21st, 2009, 01:18 PM
Well it does not work on my ubuntu 9.04, but I'm glad to learn the Unix/Linux-style copypaste (did it here :-)
I like it better then the window stile.