PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] System freezes at change of theme (appearance)

Pinon
June 20th, 2009, 01:07 PM
For some time, my system themes has been cluttered. The colors of the themes, even standard ubuntu themes, are set wrong. Ex. brown colors instead of blue, and white text on white background, or shades of grey. The only theme that appear right at "Appearance Preferences" is the "New Wawe" theme.

Recently, changing theme causes the system to freeze, and I have to cold start my computer by holding the on-off button for the time it takes to shut down the system.

Earlier I ran a script on my computer to make it look like a Mac, with max/minimize buttons at left instead of right and other changes, that have remained on my systems other themes afterwards.

I wonder what to do to be able to use my old themes again.

Thanks.

aged hippy
June 20th, 2009, 02:24 PM
I can't help with the problems you're having with themes, but when the system freezes, rather than re-booting via the power button, try pressing and holding down <Ctrl> + <Alt> then in order <Print Screen> r s e i u b (while holding down <Ctrl> + <Alt> all the time).

It's safer than a hard re-set.

Pinon
June 22nd, 2009, 05:27 PM
Now, at last, I have learnt the SAFE way to shut down a system that has frozen.

REISUB:

"Raising Elephants Is So Utterly Boring",
"Reboot Even If System Utterly Broken"

or simply remembering the word "BUSIER" backwards

1. Hold down the Alt and Printscreen keys
2. Enter these keys: R E I S U B, you do not need to capitalize the letters and shift should not be held down
3. The keystrokes should be entered a few seconds apart, 2-4 seconds, allowing for each process to end before starting the next.

REISUB allows you to:
R - unRaw (take control of keyboard back from X),
E - tErminate (send SIGTERM to all processes, allowing them to terminate gracefully),
I - kIll (send SIGKILL to all processes, forcing them to terminate immediately),
S - Sync (flush data to disk),
U- Unmount (remount all filesystems read-only),
B - reBoot.

OK, but my THEMES is still messed up!

Does anyone know how to let the system go back to original default theme settings again, after they have been messed up?

Help would be much appreciated!