PDA

View Full Version : 15 hours+ a day at the computer...

Saint Angeles
June 20th, 2009, 11:55 AM
i got a new client last week so i've been sitting at my computer almost every hour of the day... i havent gotten more than 4 hours of sleep each night and theres so many lines of code scrolling around on my screen all the time...

but today... i noticed there were these flying creepy bugs flying around my room. but when i try to look at them, they disappear. so i guess i'm hallucinating. and when i close my eyes, all i can see is a bunch of PHP moving around. usually scrolling from bottom to top, but occasionally they start flying around in cool circles.

and i'll be staring at a wall and it turns into this crazy crossword/word-search puzzle made out of CSS tags and PHP variables and functions and I start connecting them in my head. I've probably written some really awesome scripts without even realizing it.

but i was wondering... since i kind of realize that i'm going crazy... AM I REALLY going crazy? or am I just hallucinating again?

am i really typing this message?

kostkon
June 20th, 2009, 12:06 PM
Yes your post is real, really! I'm replying to it, can you see? :lolflag:

Your eyes are strained and tired. Better get some sleep, or at least close your eyes for 2-3 hours. ):P

TheLions
June 20th, 2009, 12:07 PM
this reply to your message is not real, you are imagining it. It is all fake! Don't trust other voices!

Actually this whole thread is fake, it doesn't even exists.

kostkon
June 20th, 2009, 12:08 PM
this reply to your message is not real, you are imagining it. It is all fake! Don't trust other voices!
:lolflag:

Saint Angeles
June 20th, 2009, 12:10 PM
i'm... so confused right now.

please make up your minds.

anybody else have stuff like this happen?

Saint Angeles
June 20th, 2009, 12:11 PM
:lolflag:
wait... are you guys both lions? are you the same person? i mean lion?

TheLions
June 20th, 2009, 12:13 PM
wait... are you guys both lions? are you the same person? i mean lion?

We are the one!

applecake
June 20th, 2009, 12:15 PM
I don't think I've experienced something like this, but I think you'd better get some rest, watch TV and listen to calm music.. :)

Saint Angeles
June 20th, 2009, 12:16 PM
We are the one!
naw you're lyin'

koshatnik
June 20th, 2009, 12:20 PM
i got a new client last week so i've been sitting at my computer almost every hour of the day... i havent gotten more than 4 hours of sleep each night and theres so many lines of code scrolling around on my screen all the time...

but today... i noticed there were these flying creepy bugs flying around my room. but when i try to look at them, they disappear. so i guess i'm hallucinating. and when i close my eyes, all i can see is a bunch of PHP moving around. usually scrolling from bottom to top, but occasionally they start flying around in cool circles.

and i'll be staring at a wall and it turns into this crazy crossword/word-search puzzle made out of CSS tags and PHP variables and functions and I start connecting them in my head. I've probably written some really awesome scripts without even realizing it.

but i was wondering... since i kind of realize that i'm going crazy... AM I REALLY going crazy? or am I just hallucinating again?

Every hour leave the computer for at least ten minutes.

Every 4 hours take a one hour break completely and go do someting else. Otherwise you risk serious eyestrain and headaches. You will actaully make more mistakes and be less productive by being at the keyboard more and taking less breaks. Science has proved this.

Saint Angeles
June 20th, 2009, 12:24 PM
Every hour leave the computer for at least ten minutes.

Every 4 hours take a one hour break completely and go do someting else. Otherwise you risk serious eyestrain and headaches. You will actaully make more mistakes and be less productive by being at the keyboard more and taking less breaks. Science has proved this.
yeah... i just have nothing else to do anymore. its weird, but stuff has gone on in my life that has left me alone, working at my computer with no need to ever contact the outside world.

and moving along to another topic now... does anybody here have any experience with drupal? if so, how much experience and have you modified any modules to suit your strange purposes?

WatchingThePain
June 20th, 2009, 12:25 PM
You should be careful.
You won't be much good for your client if you mash yourself up dude.
Now step away from that pc and approach the "land of Nod".
If you can't sleep there is stuff at the Pharmacy for that.

Saint Angeles
June 20th, 2009, 12:27 PM
You should be careful.
You won't be much good for your client if you mash yourself up dude.
Now step away from that pc and approach the "land of Nod".
If you can't sleep there is stuff at the Pharmacy for that.
land of nod? doesn't that have something to do with Command and Conquer? are you telling me to go play some PC games? cuz i prefer some old-fashioned starcraft.

applecake
June 20th, 2009, 12:32 PM
The end of the internet (http://www.shibumi.org/eoti.htm)

Saint Angeles
June 20th, 2009, 12:34 PM
The end of the internet (http://www.shibumi.org/eoti.htm)
well thats a relief! i guess i'll just goto hulu.com or something

WatchingThePain
June 20th, 2009, 01:34 PM
There's no stopping a determined person.

Really though, your health is important mate.
Your Human, not a robot.

Perhaps you only understand "Geek Speak" at this point.

If sleepy then
Goto Bed

Else stay up
until collapse

For Each coffee drank
exhaustion += exhaustion
End

Sorry I never was a good coder!.

I am not going to post any more to this thread as I feel guilty for keeping you awake.

chucky chuckaluck
June 20th, 2009, 01:47 PM
meh. i spend 17 hours a day at my laptop, but instead of working for a client, i'm too busy changing my wallpaper.

Giant Speck
June 20th, 2009, 02:05 PM
http://i279.photobucket.com/albums/kk122/SpecKtacle/4765_110697267518_508232518_2914272.jpg

spupy
June 20th, 2009, 02:08 PM
The flying code you see shows that you suffer from the Tetris Effect (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tetris_effect). :)

What I like to do on days with long periods on the computer is walks. I take a 20-30 minute walks outside, gazing in the distance. It relaxes the eyes.

-grubby
June 20th, 2009, 02:20 PM
http://i279.photobucket.com/albums/kk122/SpecKtacle/4765_110697267518_508232518_2914272.jpg

Oh god, I didn't realize that that was nonsensical when I first read it. I guess I need some sleep too.

Dimitriid
June 20th, 2009, 02:24 PM
I sit at the computer for 9 hours at work and come home and sit at the computer for another 6 hours when I don't go out ( which is 3 days of the week on average ).

I don't find it odd.

Saint Angeles
June 20th, 2009, 11:21 PM
The flying code you see shows that you suffer from the Tetris Effect (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tetris_effect). :)

What I like to do on days with long periods on the computer is walks. I take a 20-30 minute walks outside, gazing in the distance. It relaxes the eyes.
thats pretty interesting...

well i'm all better now cuz i got like, 7 hours of sleep when i passed out at my computer around 5 AM. now i'm behind in my work! argh

Joeb454
June 21st, 2009, 12:20 AM
You need to get proper rest, I have this happen to me sometimes when I've been working all day on the computer.

On the odd occassion I have been known to try and combat it by playing video games ;)

MikeTheC
June 21st, 2009, 05:29 AM
Hand me that piano, nurse; it's nearly lunch time.

Giant Speck
June 21st, 2009, 07:38 AM
If you're driving down the ocean in your jet ski, and the wheel falls off, does it still take the same amount of pancakes to cover a doghouse?

The Real Dave
June 21st, 2009, 02:05 PM

Man, you need sleep. Get away from the computer for a while. Go, as we say in my family, "Bash ball offa wall". Just go do something non-computery. Go for a walk, or go do anything. Anything that doesn't involve tehnology. And sleep =]

diwas
June 21st, 2009, 02:10 PM

Actually this happens to me when i play FIFA 07 multiplayer. LOL, i play this game a LOT, and whenever i close my eyes either Christiano Ronaldo is dribbling or someone else is having a sliding tackle (no i made this up! haha, i actually see a bunch of players running around but it is FIFA 07)

Dont worry, get a good sleep and you'll be fine.

K.Y.A
June 21st, 2009, 02:17 PM
Heh, that's nothing.

When I fixed computers at my old school, I used to see BSOD's and Windows error messages at the edges of my eyes. I would dream of the start menu. No wonder I switched to Linux, :lolflag:

I had the tetris effect.

And I still do, lol. I think of code to relative things in life all the time. How much cereal to have? Well an 8 bit cpu is 2^32 octets which is ~4.294967e+09. = ~4gb meaning that an 8bit cpu can do ~4gb a second so since mine is 64bit but running in 32bit mode, hence half of 64, that would be.... 1.717986e+10 which is 171,798,600mb so mine can do 171gb a second in 32bit mode. This means I should have 2 large scoops of raisin bran.

It's unavoidable. Why would you want the tetris effect to go away? Don't you like the flying plants telling you that you missed a bracket in your C code? (damn C!!!!)

K.Y.A
June 21st, 2009, 04:10 PM
I killed the thread... whoops!

RATM_Owns
June 21st, 2009, 04:19 PM
Listen to Can't Stop by Red Hot Chili Peppers outside multiple times.
I love that song. :P

abhilashm86
June 21st, 2009, 04:50 PM
i was creating a website for linux n opensource for college, i was just doing for whole day, when i went to bed, the whole night i got linux and ubuntu dreams, like i giving a talk in stage of my college funciton, teaching others linux stuff, it was terrrible!!

K.Y.A
June 21st, 2009, 04:54 PM
, like i giving a talk in stage of my college funciton, teaching others linux stuff, it was terrrible!!
It always is. :P

collinp
June 21st, 2009, 05:16 PM
Oh god, I didn't realize that that was nonsensical when I first read it. I guess I need some sleep too.
Neither did I... :o

Odd thing is, I just woke up.

JordyD
June 21st, 2009, 05:17 PM
Don't you like the flying plants telling you that you missed a bracket in your C code? (damn C!!!!)

Open vim. ":e nameofcfile.c", then "HVG=". Now just look at how the blocks of code line up. If they don't, you're missing something. I use this a lot, thus avoiding flying plants.

K.Y.A
June 21st, 2009, 05:23 PM
Open vim. ":e nameofcfile.c", then "HVG=". Now just look at how the blocks of code line up. If they don't, you're missing something. I use this a lot, thus avoiding flying plants.

Lol, thanks.

ade234uk
June 21st, 2009, 05:35 PM
When I first starting to learn how to create websites, fix pc's I was on the computer about 16 hours a day. It was a challenge and I used to love it.

Websites and customer support are my main jobs now, and I can't think of anything worse to do than to come home and site on my **** for another 3-4 hours looking at the screen. Of course I always keep my eyes on the Ubuntu forums and occasionaly update my Linux site, but I have tried to find new hobbies. I try to go cycling in the evening, and I like to do a bit of carpentry which gives me new satisfaction.

khelben1979
June 21st, 2009, 06:13 PM
Sleep (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sleep) is a good medicine.

If I wouldn't get at least 8 hours of sleep each night I would get pissed. And at the present I get this, so I'm not. :)

The Real Dave
June 21st, 2009, 06:41 PM
Listen to Can't Stop by Red Hot Chili Peppers outside multiple times.
I love that song. :P

Off topic I know, but man I love that song too! :D First minute is awesome :D

More on topic, how often do ye start something on your computer, convinced that if it doesn't work the first time, you'll just leave it?

I spent 5 hours tweaking my pwmconfig, went through hundreds of power-cycles. Or when I first started upgrading computers. All I could think of was RAM chips, and Pentium III's. Had a nightmare where my server (thrown together with many, many old parts), grew legs and started killing my other computers, coz they were more powerful. However, while turned off the were helpless lol :lolflag:

K.Y.A
June 21st, 2009, 07:11 PM
off topic i know, but man i love that song too! :d first minute is awesome :d

more on topic, how often do ye start something on your computer, convinced that if it doesn't work the first time, you'll just leave it?

I spent 5 hours tweaking my pwmconfig, went through hundreds of power-cycles. Or when i first started upgrading computers. All i could think of was ram chips, and pentium iii's. Had a nightmare where my server (thrown together with many, many old parts), grew legs and started killing my other computers, coz they were more powerful. However, while turned off the were helpless lol :lolflag:
lmao!

madjr
June 21st, 2009, 07:39 PM
use workrave man or you'll really regret later damaging ur body (specially eyes and mind, yea you could really go crazy, you seen the movie a beautiful mind?... the ending is not that beuti..)

http://cesarius.net/wp-content/uploads/ejercicios.gif

apt-get install workrave

K.Y.A
June 21st, 2009, 08:51 PM
use workrave man or you'll really regret later damaging ur body (specially eyes and mind, yea you could really go crazy, you seen the movie a beautiful mind?... the ending is not that beuti..)

http://cesarius.net/wp-content/uploads/ejercicios.gif

apt-get install workrave

NO. NOT VISTA!

Vista won't stay on for 15 hours. . . . .

Edgeworth
June 21st, 2009, 08:56 PM
NO. NOT VISTA!

Vista won't stay on for 15 hours. . . . .

I think that's just skinned Ubuntu. Look at the icons.

JordyD
June 21st, 2009, 08:58 PM
I think that's just skinned Ubuntu. Look at the icons.

And look at the apt-get install workrave command at the bottom.

K.Y.A
June 21st, 2009, 09:07 PM
It's not Ubuntu. The Ubuntu version looks different than the Vista one. The program relies on GTK so all he had to do was set the gtk theme in windows to the Ubuntu one. I do it when I run Pidgin in XP. The command is for Linux, yes, but that screenshot is from Windows...

Edgeworth
June 21st, 2009, 09:10 PM
I stand corrected.

K.Y.A
June 21st, 2009, 09:11 PM
i stand corrected.

:d

Giant Speck
June 21st, 2009, 10:24 PM
It's not Ubuntu. The Ubuntu version looks different than the Vista one. The program relies on GTK so all he had to do was set the gtk theme in windows to the Ubuntu one. I do it when I run Pidgin in XP. The command is for Linux, yes, but that screenshot is from Windows...

Who cares? As long as it shows what the program basically does, what does it matter what operating system the screenshot came from?

Kernel Sanders
June 21st, 2009, 10:43 PM
I'm not even here.

pbpersson
June 21st, 2009, 10:48 PM

In the 21st century that is how most of the owner's manuals read when I go to the store and buy an appliance.

The really frightening thing is that I have come to expect it and usually I can figure out what they are trying to say :o

K.Y.A
June 22nd, 2009, 12:08 AM
Who cares? As long as it shows what the program basically does, what does it matter what operating system the screenshot came from?

I didn't start it :)

I just said Vista sucks, basically. :)

K.Y.A
June 22nd, 2009, 12:53 AM
Who is linuxisevolution?

starcannon
June 22nd, 2009, 01:00 AM

This is like a geek version of a vision quest.

TURBO_TURBINA
June 22nd, 2009, 01:04 AM
This reminds me. Some time ago, a scientist decided to find out the side effects of not sleeping. He didn't sleep for a week. In his last moments in this world, he expressed that he can see spiders crawling on his legs and then he died.

PS, get some rest

K.Y.A
June 22nd, 2009, 01:26 AM
This reminds me. Some time ago, a scientist decided to find out the side effects of not sleeping. He didn't sleep for a week. In his last moments in this world, he expressed that he can see spiders crawling on his legs and then he died.

PS, get some rest

Awesome. Well, not really, since he died. Is this true? Where is your source? :P

-"where is your source" is a common way to start a flame war :twisted:

K.Y.A
June 22nd, 2009, 01:32 AM
hey this K.Y.A guy is <snip>

I don't appreciate it when people accuse me of being someone I'm not. I'm stealing my neighbors wireless, so maybe we have a mix up of IP addresses, maybe someone could tell me his IP so we could straiten this out? :D

abhilashm86
June 22nd, 2009, 07:31 AM
meh. i spend 17 hours a day at my laptop, but instead of working for a client, i'm too busy changing my wallpaper.

hey many wallpapers u have?? is your hard disk full of pictures?? crazy man, i hate changing wallpapers:)

MikeTheC
June 22nd, 2009, 07:32 AM
hey many wallpapers u have?? is your hard disk full of pictures?? crazy man, i hate changing wallpapers:)

I agree. That's why I have Wallpaper-Tray installed on my Ubuntu box, so that I don't have to change wallpapers.