PDA

View Full Version : [xubuntu] xfce menu navigation with keyboard

Lampi
June 20th, 2009, 11:38 AM
My windows key opens xfce4 menu, but inside the menu navigation is timersome: I can only use arrow keys. I prefer tapping first key of a menu name and the cursor jumps right there. It's the way it I'm used to navigate menus - it's way faster than arrow keys.

Does someone have a solution how to get that? I assume I have to change xmodmap key bindings, but where to?

kerry_s
June 20th, 2009, 12:34 PM
how about you just setup keyboard shortcuts for the programs you want & skip the menus all together?

Bucky Ball
June 20th, 2009, 12:37 PM
Yep, that's the way I do it. In fact I use the windows key in combination with another for the program!

Win key/F = Firefox

... etc. Application->Settings->Settings Manager->Keyboard->Shortcuts. Create a theme (leave the default one) and start adding short cuts. For instance:

Click Add under Shorcuts window
Command: firefox

Then in the next window hit the key combination you want to use and your done.

Lampi
June 20th, 2009, 01:12 PM
Thank you Bucky Ball & kerry_s for your suggestions!

I use a few self made shortcuts for my favorite applications as well, but it's not what I'm trying to do here :)

I'd like to be able to navigate fast in the xfce4 menu using the keyboard and no arrow keys. This worked in Windows for years and I kinda got used to it.

kerry_s
June 20th, 2009, 01:30 PM
i don't think theres a way to do that.

Lampi
June 20th, 2009, 02:08 PM
i don't think theres a way to do that.
you might be right about that :(

Linux is using the MAC/Apple approach with the windows key, so the key is by default a modifier key, thus to be used along with another key.

In Windows the win key is not a real modifier key, but I read somewhere it modifies the behaviour how a key press *afterwards* is parsed: If you hit windows key every after going key press is parsed as §<key> - so it differs from the original key assignment (beeing just <key>)

One might be able to use that in linux as well, but I'd need some more details.

tgalati4
June 20th, 2009, 03:01 PM
alt-F2
type in a few characters of the program you want to run.