PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Trying to install 9.04 alongside 8.04 but 9.04 is causing havoc with my raid card

Scorpuk
June 20th, 2009, 09:27 AM
Wanted to install 9.04 alongside 8.04 to see if everything worked ok, but after getting through the installation process it failed with a disk read/write error. Cant remember exact words now.

After rebooting my computer sits at "Waiting for 3ware Controller to Initialize..."

First time this happened I switched off the computer and power supply overnight and rebooted the next day. Everything looked good so tried again. This time got as far as clicking on the Next button at the stage where you type in your user name and it looked like the computer froze, but I could move the mouse around. I forced a shutdown and then when I switched it back on I get the same message about the 3ware card.

It don't think it can be a problem with the 3ware card as I have been running 8.04 for over a year on it with little or no problems, mainly system crashes not relating to the 3ware card.

System Specs:

Motherboard: Asus P5N32-E SLI, BIOS 1205
Processor: Intel Q6600
Memory: 8Gb
Raid Controller: AMCC/3Ware 9650SE-12ML KIT
Hard Drives: 12 x 500Gb Carved up as:

100Gb boot (went for split here)
2000Gb Auto carve
2000Gb Auto carve
996Gb Auto carve (or whatever was left)

I certainly don't want to even try an upgrade if I am getting this problem trying to install it...

Any help appreciated. :-)

Scorpuk
September 14th, 2009, 10:51 PM
Update:

Ubuntu continually crashes at around 49% of install: while copying files. Saying error copying files.

I have installed Suse Open Linux 11.0 with no problems.

SO

Must be a fault with Ubuntu!