PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Failing to start squid htttp proxy

asianman
June 20th, 2009, 08:49 AM
Hey,

I am trying to start the squid proxy that I made using this guide: http://ubuntu-tutorials.com/2009/06/18/create-anonymous-squid-proxy-for-iranian-election-protestors/

I have followed all of the steps just as they say it in this guide. I have never used squid before so this issue isn't some sort of interference with another squid program.

I have been able to do everything fine up until the very last command which comes back as this when I copy and paste:

colin@colin-laptop:~$ sudo /etc/init.d/squid start
[sudo] password for colin:
* Starting Squid HTTP proxy squid [fail]
colin@colin-laptop:~$

and this when I type it in manually:

colin@colin-laptop:~$ sudo /ect/init.d/squid start
sudo password for colin:
sudo: /ect/init.d/squid: command not found

I go to where the file is located and I see that it is there. When I double click on it or choose any of the different ways to open it such as run in terminal and just plain run nothing happens at all.

I am running Ubuntu Jaunty

If you need more information on the computer settings or something just tell me how to do it and I will get it to you.
All help will be much appreciated!
Thanks.

spillin_dylan
June 20th, 2009, 05:30 PM
Well I'm no squid expert, but when you're typing it in manually, make sure you have the path correct. In your example you have "/etc/" versus "/ect/". Maybe it's just a typo, but it could be worth noting.

asianman
June 20th, 2009, 07:23 PM
Fixed it by stopping all of my programs and stuff and restarting. Everything works fine now!