PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Upgrading old machine

Kunin
June 20th, 2009, 04:36 AM
I've got two machines with VERY old hardware, been running decently but they're starting to show their age now. Last distro upgrade (8.10, haven't bothered trying 9.04) I actually had to remove part of the Nvidia drivers (3D stuff) to even get it to work as they have dropped support for my old cards.

1. How is the support for ATI graphic cards and multiple monitors these days? Last time I tried them (years ago) they just didn't play nicely with my four monitors (not that Nvidia did either, but I could at least get Nvidia to work). Has that changed at all, or should I stick with Nvidia?

I'm going to completely upgrade my main computer, and then later (when I can afford it) do a much bigger upgrade and move the hardware (that I'm buying soon) over to upgrade the secondary computer. Money is an issue right now, hence I'm looking at ATI but if it won't play nice with my set up I'll fork out a little extra for some good Nvidia cards.

2. What is the easiest way to move my entire set up over to the new hardware? This stuff is old (IDE) so I'll be ditching the drives, but I want to move the whole install over if I can, far too large to DD and copy to DVD.

The new set up will be close to the current one, faster drive (probably VelociRaptor at this point, second upgrade will be SSD) for OS and then /home on a larger drive (looking at Spinpoint F1). Current set up is the same, expect I kept running out of space so I put in another drive for movies/music/etc but I'd like to consolidate that into one drive if possible (RAID 0 with a couple SpinPoints).

Thanks for the help!

Kunin
June 20th, 2009, 04:40 AM
Oh, forgot one question.

3. I was looking at using RFS for the OS drive, from my understanding (I could be completely wrong of course) RFS is faster when dealing with smaller files such as what most of the OS drive would be. Is that correct, or am I just crazy?

Sef
June 20th, 2009, 04:47 AM
1. How is the support for ATI graphic cards and multiple monitors these days? Last time I tried them (years ago) they just didn't play nicely with my four monitors (not that Nvidia did either, but I could at least get Nvidia to work). Has that changed at all, or should I stick with Nvidia?

Stick with NVidia.

Kunin
June 20th, 2009, 04:56 AM
Stick with NVidia.

That's what I was expecting to hear... too bad too, prices in Yongsan have been crazy lately.