PDA

View Full Version : Thinking of getting a sega DC.... a few questions though

dragos240
June 20th, 2009, 02:43 AM
How would switching from an xbox or gamecube controller to a dreamcast one? And how was your experience with a dreamcast, if you have/had one.

thegreenblob
June 20th, 2009, 02:56 AM
DC controllers aren't that hard to get used to.

At least for most games, I will admit it's a pain to play any DC FPS with only one analog stick after being used to two. But I guess that's why the DC had a mouse/keyboard too. lol.

Muffinabus
June 20th, 2009, 03:09 AM
Wow, a Dreamcast, eh (: ?

I loved mine, played it tons when I had it. I couldn't get enough of Phantasy Star Online back in the day, I loved it. That and Sonic Adventure were great titles.

LinuxFox
June 20th, 2009, 04:42 AM
In my opinion, I thought the Dreamcast controller was comfortable. I would say it's easy to get use to, it just has one thumbstick. Though aiming was different for some games, for example Fur Fighters. A,B,X,Y were to move, while the thumbstick was to aim and the L and R triggers would fire weapon and jump (if I remember).

Dreamcast, I loved the games. Sonic Adventure 1 and 2, Sonic Shuffle, Crazy Taxi, Daytona USA, and House of the Dead 2 were some of my favorites. Especially playing House of the Dead with the Dream Blaster accessory, arcade action at home. 8)

Plus the memory card is called a VMU, and it can be used as a handheld mini-game device and a memory card. Sonic Adventure 1 and 2, Sega GT, and Namco Museum are examples of games with VMU mini-games.

swoll1980
June 20th, 2009, 04:52 AM
The Dreamcast was great. The controllers are comfortable, but as someone else said, using 1 joystick will take some getting used to. If you get a Dreamcast you have to play Shenmue (wikipedia.org/wiki/Shenmue). It's one of the top 10 games of all time. Unfortunatley, after the second one ended in a cliff hanger, it went the way of Duke Nukem forever.

MikeTheC
June 20th, 2009, 05:10 AM
I remember several years ago going to Epcot, and one of the things they were using for some kind of gaming exhibit thing was the Dreamcast. As I recollect, it was not that long before (I dunno, a year or two?) that the DC had gotten killed off.

Just goes to show the Experimental Prototype Community Of Tomorrow is getting a little bit tarnished.

Heck, I remember when they first opened, and it was all this neat and cool stuff. These days, anyone with a half-way decent computer can do anything and everything they do up there, no problem.

OTOH, their World Showcase and variety of different foods cannot be beat. I may be going there this upcoming spring, and I'm looking forward to that!

</hijack>

dragos240
June 20th, 2009, 01:55 PM
Also, I'm going to order the original jet grind radio. My local store had the dreamcast, but not this particular title, and i've heard lots about it. I've also played JSRF so it shouldn't be that different. What's your experience with this?

RiceMonster
June 20th, 2009, 05:08 PM
I recommend getting a sega genesis instead. There's much better games available for that. Although, I never owned a Dream Cast, admittedly.

Muffinabus
June 20th, 2009, 05:16 PM
Also, I'm going to order the original jet grind radio. My local store had the dreamcast, but not this particular title, and i've heard lots about it. I've also played JSRF so it shouldn't be that different. What's your experience with this?

I've played Jet Grind Radio and Jet Set Radio Future (Xbox) and loved both of them. The graffiti mechanics are different in each game but I don't remember how...

SuperSonic4
June 20th, 2009, 05:18 PM
I recommend getting a sega genesis instead. There's much better games available for that. Although, I never owned a Dream Cast, admittedly.

Sonic on the Mega Drive (the name of the genesis outside the US) is the best gaming experience ever (not that one can guess from my name xD)