PDA

View Full Version : Kate Gosselin from Jon and Kate Plus 8 spanked child. Thoughts?

gymophett
June 20th, 2009, 01:29 AM
http://www.nj.com/parenting/amber_watsontardiff/index.ssf/2009/06/kate_gosselin_spanks_leah_is_i.html
I saw this on a magazine walking through Target not too long ago. I was amazed. Come on really now? The cops got called on her? What? For spanking her child? How is this even abuse?
She simply slapped her child on the bottom because she wouldn't listen. I got spanked many times, and I can say first hand, IT HELPS. I don't know anyone who doesn't get spanked. It's completely okay, as long as your not bruising your child or something.
The cops and my town spank their children too, that's what parent's are supposed to do.
What is wrong with the world?!
People are like "She could have taken the whistle away and gave a time out". Well you know what? Sometimes that doesn't work. She has 8 kids, and paparazzi everywhere, hell if that happened to me, I wouldn't even be able to manage.
Gahh, this woman is probably stressed out.
Short answer: I think spankings are completely okay for discipline.
Thoughts?

jrusso2
June 20th, 2009, 01:31 AM
A simple spanking on the bottom with an open hand it not abuse according to the laws of the state I worked in. I used to be a child abuse investigator.

Whether its the right thing to do or not is open to your beliefs.

.Maleficus.
June 20th, 2009, 01:34 AM
I would have spanked the kid too. And IMO, if the child isn't a little shaken up after getting spanked, you didn't do it hard enough. I was spanked as a child and I'm better because of it. I also got the classic "squirt of soap on the tongue". I loved that one :D.

*hides from spank-haters*

gymophett
June 20th, 2009, 01:39 AM
http://assets.nydailynews.com/img/2009/06/18/amd_kate.jpg
You can clearly see here, Kate's hand is open, and only spanking her bottom.
Holy crap, someone is actually parenting these days? What?! No...

BslBryan
June 20th, 2009, 01:50 AM
I don't believe in spanking children, but if you spank a child, it's a personal choice, and is perfectly legal within reason.

There is no reason it should have been of any concern to the police.

SunnyRabbiera
June 20th, 2009, 01:52 AM
A mere spanking is nothing to cry home about, if she was beating her with a rod or some crap for 3 hours thats different but still.

Cowchip7
June 20th, 2009, 02:01 AM
The spanking is fine. The psychological abuse Kate and Jon are putting their kids through is ridiculous. Everything the kids do and everywhere the kids go, there is a boom mic over their heads. That is just ridiculous. Shame on them. A parent should never subject their kids to that.

starcraft.man
June 20th, 2009, 02:15 AM
The problem here isn't the spanking (though I personally think it's the tool of parents without parenting skill). The problem is that Jon and Kate plus 8 is on TV and anyone cares about it. Garbage reality television sickens me, it speaks volumes of the emptiness of our society.

To summarize, kids growing up watching nothing but "reality TV" does far more damage to youths than an open hand ever could.

SunnyRabbiera
June 20th, 2009, 02:25 AM
The problem here isn't the spanking (though I personally think it's the tool of parents without parenting skill). The problem is that Jon and Kate plus 8 is on TV and anyone cares about it. Garbage reality television sickens me, it speaks volumes of the emptiness of our society.

To summarize, kids growing up watching nothing but "reality TV" does far more damage to youths than an open hand ever could.

Indeed, I hate reality TV too but a mere spanking is nothing compared to the kinds of child abuse going on world wide.

KiwiNZ
June 20th, 2009, 03:17 AM
In New Zealand it is illegal . I agree with our Law.

CharmyBee
June 20th, 2009, 03:23 AM

Agreed. It's even killing Cartoon Network. I used to like that channel :/

RD1
June 20th, 2009, 03:36 AM
I could not care less about John, Kate or any of their kids. What I would like to see is a public flogging of the people that create this kind of programming.

zmjjmz
June 20th, 2009, 03:48 AM
Most of what is on TV today is crap.
So I couldn't care less.

Giant Speck
June 20th, 2009, 04:45 AM
1.) I was spanked as a child, and I turned out alright.

2.) I couldn't care less what some reality-television mother does.

3.) I don't think this is a "lighthearted and enjoyable discussion."

swoll1980
June 20th, 2009, 05:00 AM
That TV show, and news stories like this, are what's wrong with those children's lives, not being open handed spanked on the butt.

Ragnar Bocephus
June 20th, 2009, 05:52 AM
Oh no, it's another ratings ploy!

Maybe one day either Jon or Kate (preferably both) will be guillotined on the show. That should draw in plenty of viewers.

gymophett
June 20th, 2009, 05:56 AM
I think they should cancel the show. Many people enjoy it, but they are ruining their and the children's lives. It's a little selfish.

cariboo
June 20th, 2009, 06:08 AM
This thread has run it's course, it is closed.