PDA

View Full Version : Facebook & Microsoft

super.rad
June 19th, 2009, 10:02 PM
Just noticed that lately a load of people I have / used to have on msn messenger are coming up in the "suggested friends". Most these people have no mutual friends with me, aren't in the same network, some aren't even in the same country. I've never put my email address and password into the "find friends" piece and have different passwords for facebook and msn/hotmail. Anyone else noticed this?
EDIT: Also wan't to point out I'm not another microsoft hater or anything like that, linux just suits me better. Just don't like the fact that facebook is going through my hotmail/msn contacts

init1
June 19th, 2009, 11:11 PM
Just noticed that lately a load of people I have / used to have on msn messenger are coming up in the "suggested friends". Most these people have no mutual friends with me, aren't in the same network, some aren't even in the same country. I've never put my email address and password into the "find friends" piece and have different passwords for facebook and msn/hotmail. Anyone else noticed this?
EDIT: Also wan't to point out I'm not another microsoft hater or anything like that, linux just suits me better. Just don't like the fact that facebook is going through my hotmail/msn contacts
There's a feature were you can let Facebook go through your IM contacts to look for friends. Your MSN friends probably used it.

juancarlospaco
June 20th, 2009, 03:44 AM
Facebook--->Data Miners Paradise.
Microsoft--->Data Miner.
so
Facebook--->Money
Microsoft--->Users preferences to sell M$ Products
Server/Client system

linuxguymarshall
June 20th, 2009, 03:46 AM
There is a feature that lets you find your contacts on AIM, MSN messenger, or other sites and you probably entered that data somewhere. It was going that for me on AIM awhole back and there was some setting I used to turn it off

MikeTheC
June 20th, 2009, 03:53 AM
Facebook--->Data Miners Paradise.
Microsoft--->Data Miner.
so
Facebook--->Money
Microsoft--->Users preferences to sell M$ Products
Server/Client system

+1

Or, to put it in more Babylon 5 terms, "The truth points to itself."

bruno9779
March 11th, 2011, 05:47 PM
It is worse than that.

Microsoft-facebook strategic alliance (http://www.facebook.com/press/releases.php?p=8084)

I meant to cancel my facebook account for a while. It is time to do so.

uRock
March 11th, 2011, 06:10 PM
Necromancy = Thread Closed

You may start a new thread, if you wish.