PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] ATI Drivers. I have them installed but X won't load

jus71n742
June 19th, 2009, 09:48 PM
My Xorg is actually trying to load these drivers. I am using the same driver as before with these 4850 HD's
I exited X and ran

sudo sh *.run

said installer ran. I got back to X no problem. Even altered some stuff, then when I rebooted everything went crazy. No screen, no display in TTY1-7
but I can get there in recovery mode. thats it. I Have tried removing and reistalling a different way with

--buildpkg Ubuntu/8.04

on the end of the driver. still nothing.
when I look at my xorg.conf file It is trying to load the correct ATI driver. So I am stuck as to what may be causing this. I have read a few different threads on how this works but nothing has worked so far.

I went back and repaired the following package:

fglrx-amdcccle

since this package was broken. then reinstalled the drivers since they still weren't detected. They are still the default loaded drivers in the xorg.conf file though.
I am using these drivers

http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownload/linux/Pages/radeon_linux.aspx?type=2.4.1&product=2.4.1.3.36&lang=English

markbuntu
June 20th, 2009, 01:17 AM
You need open a terminal and run

aticonfig --initial

What ubuntu are you using and which driver?

jus71n742
June 20th, 2009, 02:42 AM
and the driver is at the link in my post

aticonfig --initial

produces the following output

Uninitialised file found, configuring.
Using /etc/X11/xorg.conf
Saved back-up to /etc/X11/xorg.conf.original-4

markbuntu
June 20th, 2009, 03:02 AM
It should work OK now after you restart x. I am using that driver on my Hardy amd64 Ubuntustudio and have no problems. This driver uses randr and you need to disable randr if you have more than one display.

jus71n742
June 22nd, 2009, 02:05 AM
How would I disable that? never heard of that setting.

Also, when I install it again and again I can get into catalyst control center HOWEVER, if I change ANYTHING. and log out to restart X. it fails immediately and I can't do a thing again. No display until I reboot into recovery mode. Is there a setting in the Xorg.conf file that will let me disable randr? Also it will not detect the second video card as a video card, just as an unknown device and will not allow the card running 2 monitors to split them into separate displays which is what I want.

also lspci returns the following:

02:00.0 VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc Unknown device 9442
02:00.1 Audio device: ATI Technologies Inc Unknown device aa30
04:00.0 VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc Unknown device 9442
04:00.1 Audio device: ATI Technologies Inc Unknown device aa30

jus71n742
June 25th, 2009, 01:25 AM
Ok when I start the package manager I recieve the following broken package

libamdxvba1

and so I remove it. attempt to reinstall and again...broken package.
I can not find this package in the package manager unless its broken. is there another way to acquire this package?
I also receive the error that

errors were encountered while processing:
libamdxvba1.deb

then above that it says no such file or directory.

this is all from running

sudo sh *.run --buildpkg Ubuntu/8.04
sudo dpkg -i *.deb
aticonf --initial -f

also if I just rm all that deb files and start fresh....then this is what happens:

Errors were encountered while processing:
fglrx-amdcccle_8.852-Oubuntu1_amd64.deb
fglrx-kernel-source_8.582-Oubuntu1_amd64.deb
libamdxvba1

So I am really confused at this since none of this happened last time I installed them. I would REALLY appreciate any ideas on this.

jus71n742
June 25th, 2009, 02:38 AM
Got different drivers and it is sorta kinda working...meaning I am in the regular kernel (not recovery) and The main screen works and is the correct resolution
However when I try and change the other 2 screens ...everything gets distorted and scrambled up.
one of them even shows the desktop in the bottom corner and the rest of the screen looks like a TV does when it is snowy just not moving.

markbuntu
June 25th, 2009, 08:40 PM
You should check out this thread about getting dual monitors working

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1171926