PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Login screen problem

mohlam12
June 19th, 2009, 08:29 PM
I just installed Ubuntu 9.04 (I already had XP on my computer). Installation went fine, but when I wanted to start Ubuntu for the first time, it gave me the login screen, I put my login and password, then nothing happens for around 3 seconds. Right after, I get the login screen again.
I think I saw something like [ACPI off error] somewhere while starting ubuntu.
What should I do ?
Thank you

starcraft.man
June 19th, 2009, 08:53 PM
I just installed Ubuntu 9.04 (I already had XP on my computer). Installation went fine, but when I wanted to start Ubuntu for the first time, it gave me the login screen, I put my login and password, then nothing happens for around 3 seconds. Right after, I get the login screen again.
I think I saw something like [ACPI off error] somewhere while starting ubuntu.
What should I do ?
Thank you

Are you sure your putting in the right password? I'm pretty sure what your describing is the time linux separates the log in attempts by so people can't simply brute attack it. I don't think the ACPI error has anything to do with this particular issue...

mohlam12
June 19th, 2009, 09:32 PM
Yes, I even told him to remember the password during the installation. So even after waiting the 10 seconds, it 'auto logs' but it goes back to the login screen again.

mohlam12
June 19th, 2009, 10:48 PM
RESOLVED

Don't know why but this time after several reboots, it does not give me any login screen, and logs directly to ubuntu.

raymondh
June 19th, 2009, 11:21 PM
RESOLVED

Don't know why but this time after several reboots, it does not give me any login screen, and logs directly to ubuntu.

am guessing acpi can be finicky .... congratulations and happy ubuntu-ing.