PDA

View Full Version : Use of Ubuntu at James Madison University

wpshooter
June 19th, 2009, 07:07 PM
I just made an inquiry at James Madison University in Virginia as to whether a computer running a Ubuntu operating system could be used by one of their students to complete their course work load at the University and what I was told was that the student "could" attempt to use it if they wanted to BUT if there were any problems that the University did not have the ability and therefore would not be responsible for any support and also they they could not guarantee connection to their wireless network.

For the most part their response was generally NEGATIVE toward the possible use of the Ubuntu/Linux operating system.

Still unfortunately looks like Ubuntu is being relegated to a home/hobby operating system.

ZackM
June 19th, 2009, 07:10 PM
I just made an inquiry at James Madison University in Virginia as to whether a computer running a Ubuntu operating system could be used by one of their students to complete their course work load at the University and what I was told was that the student "could" attempt to use it if they wanted to BUT if there were any problems that the University did not have the ability and therefore would not be responsible for any support and also they they could not guarantee connection to their wireless network.

For the most part their response was generally NEGATIVE toward the possible use of the Ubuntu/Linux operating system.

Still unfortunately looks like Ubuntu is being relegated to a home/hobby operating system.

Well, they most likely run on Windows servers, thus don't want to deal with the cross integration. Samba works with Windows server, as a of people on this forum know. However, they may not have the IT knowledge to do such a thing, or they just don't feel like taking the time to learn. It sucks, but until Linux becomes more widely used, we'll be stuck with home/hobby as you said.

t0p
June 19th, 2009, 07:17 PM
I've found that lots of organizations claim their systems are not compatible with Linux when in fact the OS works with their stuff just fine. This is due to the fact that their IT people often know nothing about any OS other than Windows. So they do not officially "support" Linux. I suggest you go to the university campus with your laptop and test the network and whatever else you think is important for compatibility.

twright
June 19th, 2009, 07:25 PM
Well mostly I love Linux because it is the ultimate hobby OS ;) (i.e. it is still fun to use)

Anyway if the network people don't know anything about Linux then they won't be much use supporting it and as most Linux users are generally capable of helping themselves then it should be OK.

wpshooter
June 19th, 2009, 07:30 PM
I've found that lots of organizations claim their systems are not compatible with Linux when in fact the OS works with their stuff just fine. This is due to the fact that their IT people often know nothing about any OS other than Windows. So they do not officially "support" Linux. I suggest you go to the university campus with your laptop and test the network and whatever else you think is important for compatibility.

That's a great idea, except this is for a student (my niece) who is going to be starting this summer and she does not yet have a laptop computer to do any such on site testing with. And, of course, her parents do not want to go and invest in a laptop that does not come with a packaged M/S operating just to find out that perhaps that Ubuntu would not be a viable option, when we pretty well know that M/S most certainly will be.

Chemical Imbalance
June 19th, 2009, 07:32 PM
Perhaps you can find out if there is a Linux/Unix Users group at that University and contact them. Many do have them.

fleaaccela
June 19th, 2009, 07:35 PM
well, no matter what happens -

there are 3 different computer labs at JMU. you are always able to find a seat.

ddrichardson
June 19th, 2009, 07:42 PM

This'll be an unpopular opinion but when it comes to OSS you have to pick your battles.

Trying Ubuntu or dual-booting is one thing but I'm sure that the student is going to have enough to do studying, working and getting on away from home in new surroundings to worry too much about convincing the University to support Linux.

The thing is, we tend to think that we're talking about dumb IT support when we only need the protocol and the password but have a look at some of the posts on this forum alone to know that support could well mean "I can't get wireless to work on my laptop" rather than "your wireless network is not working".

SerenityKill3r
June 19th, 2009, 07:43 PM
I know my college has a lab where all the computers have a Ubuntu VM.

FuturePilot
June 19th, 2009, 07:45 PM

In my own experiences I've found this to be so true.

markbuntu
June 19th, 2009, 08:05 PM
A lot of coleges are actually running linux servers in the background but only the guys who maintain the servers know it. They put windows front ends on them and run windows thin clients so the rest of the IT people don't freak out.

sydbat
June 19th, 2009, 08:46 PM
Still unfortunately looks like Ubuntu is being relegated to a home/hobby operating system.Personally, I find that too many of the discussions around here generate this type of comment. This is nothing personal concerning the OP at all, so please do not flame me because of my opinion. I just find that many people on these boards have a "can't do" attitude inherent in this last sentence. And many responses reinforce this thought pattern, including "use what works best for you" and "dual boot".

Sure, if you have to use another OS, do it (especially if there is some specific program required). I am not saying you should not be productive and to only use Linux or else. What I am saying is, instead of making excuses how you "can't do", use Linux and see what you "can do".

Bring that Linux laptop into work/school/wherever and just use it (there are quite a few around here who do this already, including me). Chances are that it will play nice with the network and you will be productive. And coworkers/fellow students/the general public will see that you are able to productively use something other than what they expect or are used to. And they may become interested, naturally, and want to learn more/become Linux users.

I shall now await my banning from this forum...

undadecor
June 29th, 2009, 01:02 PM

I graduated from James Madison University this past December. For the 3.5 years I was there I solely used Ubuntu on my personal computers. There was one course (out of all 120 credit hours) that forced me to use a Library's computer running Windows because of the anti-cheating program that was used during the tests.

The wireless network is easy to connect to, as is the wired network inside of dorms. Getting the VPN to work (required for wireless internet on campus) is also easy. I recommend downloading the vpnc and network-manager-vpnc packages from the repositories. If you PM me I'll let you know the group passwords necessary to connect to both the "Remote" and "Wireless" VPN connections.

Let me know if there is anything else you'd like to know about Linux and James Madison University.

The C.S. department uses Red Hat for most programming and in-class assignments.

darthmob
June 29th, 2009, 01:15 PM
I don't see a problem with the response. It's not a negative attitude if they tell you that there won't be any support as no one knows how to deal with it.
it would be a completely different thing if they would force you to use windows to do your work.