PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] jaunty upgrade fetchmail pam failure

sjv
June 19th, 2009, 05:46 PM
I'm trying to upgrade to Jaunty, and during the upgrade process I was asked for the password for fetchmail. I entered mine and it didn't work, so install failed. I don't ever remember setting one. I went to the command line and ran "dpkg --configure -a", and I tried my password, as well as root, and just about any others I thought I would have used, nothing worked. I also tried deleting the password through passwd, as well as changing it. Anyone know what I need to do here?

Here is the output:

~$ sudo dpkg --configure -a
Setting up fetchmail (6.3.9~rc2-4ubuntu1) ...
Password:
chsh: PAM authentication failed
dpkg: error processing fetchmail (--configure):
subprocess post-installation script returned error exit status 1
Errors were encountered while processing:
fetchmail

Thanks,
Steve

sjv
June 19th, 2009, 08:27 PM
Just a quick update. Not sure if it helps at all, but after consulting /var/log/auth.log I get the following entries:

Jun 19 14:19:41 dev1 sudo: steve : TTY=pts/4 ; PWD=/home/steve ; USER=root ; COMMAND=/usr/bin/dpkg --configure -a
Jun 19 14:19:48 dev1 chsh[7386]: pam_unix(chsh:auth): authentication failure; logname=steve uid=0 euid=0 tty= ruser= rhost= user=root

So it's trying to authenticate my user account, and not fetchmail. I don't understand why this is happening when I run dpkg with sudo, since I'm already authenticated as root. The log looks to show like it's asking me for my password to become root, but it's obviously not working.

sjv
June 22nd, 2009, 04:14 PM
Can anyone help with this? I have been all over google, and have no idea how to correct this problem.