PDA

View Full Version : Linux promotion

Stitz
June 19th, 2009, 04:42 PM
I posted this thread in FedoraForums also...is there a project already out there that promotes Linux?

I would like to see a Linux commercial that emphasizes the fact that Linux=community. I'll try to stay away from the political side of things, but it seems to me that society in general is leaning more towards the idea of community/social principals and away from corporate/free market ones. This is largely because of Wall Street and corruption that has been publicized recently...I think that right now, the public would embrace (or at least relate to) the idea of people helping people just for the sake of helping...after all, that is what Linux is all about, isn't it?

Also, all of those commercials that are on YouTube are kind of going to waste. They represent many hours of peoples efforts in trying to promote Linux, and many of them would be great on TV. I'm wondering, if we had a project devoted to advertising Linux, and people submitted commercials, screenshots, ideas, etc. and the project team put these together and prepared a campaign...with the right financial backing, it might be a really good thing for Linux...and now might be a really good time for it, too. Surely some of the companies that make their living off of Linux would be willing to support the effort.

If anyone thinks that "we" need this kind of project, please reply.

billgoldberg
June 19th, 2009, 04:44 PM
I posted this thread in FedoraForums also...is there a project already out there that promotes Linux?

I would like to see a Linux commercial that emphasizes the fact that Linux=community. I'll try to stay away from the political side of things, but it seems to me that society in general is leaning more towards the idea of community/social principals and away from corporate/free market ones. This is largely because of Wall Street and corruption that has been publicized recently...I think that right now, the public would embrace (or at least relate to) the idea of people helping people just for the sake of helping...after all, that is what Linux is all about, isn't it?

Also, all of those commercials that are on YouTube are kind of going to waste. They represent many hours of peoples efforts in trying to promote Linux, and many of them would be great on TV. I'm wondering, if we had a project devoted to advertising Linux, and people submitted commercials, screenshots, ideas, etc. and the project team put these together and prepared a campaign...with the right financial backing, it might be a really good thing for Linux...and now might be a really good time for it, too. Surely some of the companies that make their living off of Linux would be willing to support the effort.

If anyone thinks that "we" need this kind of project, please reply.

Youtube has a HUGE userbase. In fact I just uploaded a Fedora vid to it (link (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vb2vdnLKdig)).

I kind of fracked up, but still posted it.

A lot of people will see it and it might even persuade some to try it out.