PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Problems with broken packages

FrancesL
June 19th, 2009, 12:05 PM
I posted in AB my original problem of my pc running very slow after upgrade from Hardy to Jaunty. After no real solutions worked I reinstalled Hardy from CD. BUT when it came to updates thru synaptic I got an error : Cant install updates, remove broken packages. Looked for these in synaptic, nothing. Tried again and got a download of 633 packages, then the same message "cannot install, remove broken packages. Will put screen shot on here
Do I do another reinstall? I partitioned using the whole disc..so there should be nothing left on it to cause issues, should there, I followed steps so carefully.
I do so want to stay with Ubuntu, can accept not being able to run Jaunty, even that was a bit of a surprise, but acceptable.. but what Hardy at least to run right. Help:(:(:confused:

FrancesL
June 21st, 2009, 12:37 AM
Seems I have managed to fix it myself, regardless of lack of responses. BUT had to do it by yet ANOTHER reinstall of Hardy, after making an ISO CD...but seems ok..Still for the like of me cant work out WHY upgrading to Jaunty would be an issue....oh well

cariboo
June 21st, 2009, 12:40 AM
Just to let you know, you have to close update manager before you can use System-->Administration-->Synaptic Package Manager-->Edit-->Fix Broken Packages.

FrancesL
June 21st, 2009, 10:52 AM
Just to let you know, you have to close update manager before you can use System-->Administration-->Synaptic Package Manager-->Edit-->Fix Broken Packages.

Thanks yes, realised that, and had tried. but thanks anyway