PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Installing Vista over Ubuntu

Refuge
June 19th, 2009, 08:37 AM
So recently I have decided to re-install my Vista Home Premium over my Ubuntu because my school work requires Windows for Photoshop, Microsoft Office, etc.

However when I insert my disk, I go to install it and my hard drives aren't NTFS anymore therefore it won't install. But it won't let me format it so I can install Vista.

So what I'm trying to ask is, how do I make my hard drive NTFS again so I can re-install Vista.

Please help?

lisati
June 19th, 2009, 08:40 AM
The "Try Ubuntu without installing" option of the Ubuntu LiveCD comes with the gParted partition editor which you might find useful when tinkering with the partitions on your machine - you should be able to (re)format your partition(s) to NTFS.

presence1960
June 19th, 2009, 11:32 AM
why don't you do what lisati said, but instead shrink your Ubuntu partition and install Vista on the free space created? That way you have Ubuntu and Vista for your school work. I have to have windows for work and that is the only time I use it- maybe once or twice a month. Everything else is done on Ubuntu. Dual booting let's you keep Ubuntu and still have Vista for school.

Refuge
June 20th, 2009, 05:33 AM
Thanks for both your help :). I ended up using gParted to reformat my drive to NTFS to install Vista. I then just installed Ubuntu with the "install in windows" option. You know the one that makes it an application that you can choose to boot into when you start up and uninstall via add/remove programs.

Works fantastic 8D

presence1960
June 20th, 2009, 12:48 PM
Enjoy Ubuntu!