PDA

View Full Version : How many web designers exclusively use linux?

kapi
June 18th, 2009, 11:32 AM
Wondering just how many web design businesses out there actually use Linux exclusively for there business and how they found the experience.

Just wanted your thoughts

Thanks

wpshooter
June 18th, 2009, 01:40 PM
I really don't know but my "guess" would be not many, if any.

chrisod
June 18th, 2009, 06:49 PM
I do some freelance web work on the side, and my last few projects were 100% Linux. Wordpress hosted on Linux, images manipulated in Gimp, coding in Gedit, contracts and proposals in Open Office. However, I wouldn't call myself exclusively Linux because if I need to do video editing I boot into XP.

Tibuda
June 18th, 2009, 08:40 PM
Not a business, but I have done some freelance work with webdesign and PHP coding using only Linux.

GIMP is fine for webdesign, and thanks to web standards you are fine to work on Linux for the web. If you are strict to web standards and semantic, you'll have only few glitches when you test your designs in MSIE 6 (which you can do in a virtual machine).

I think it is a lot easier to install and manage a local development environment on Linux. You just have to install some packages to have Apache working with PHP support. The coding tools are great too. I only use Gedit with some plugins, but if you want a full IDE, there's Bluefish, Aptana, and more options.

Celauran
June 18th, 2009, 08:55 PM
I do web development for a living and use Linux exclusively.

juancarlospaco
June 19th, 2009, 06:17 AM
Flash is available on linux...
Adobe Dreamweaver CS too

Twitch6000
June 19th, 2009, 06:27 AM
When I am making a webpage I only use a linux distro mainly cause of the tools.

I use gedit and blufish editor.

Viva
June 19th, 2009, 06:28 AM
I'm into web development. I'm primarily a web designer and PHP programmer. I'm **** poor at graphic designing though, so I don't really need photoshop;)

Grant A.
June 19th, 2009, 07:05 AM
I have much more respect for a web designer using Linux, rather than one using Dreamweaver on Windows.

In my opinion, the hand-coded sites are the ones that should be worth $500, not those stupid mass-produced ones you could generate yourself in a few hours by playing around in Dreamweaver.

brian183
June 19th, 2009, 07:41 AM
I'm into web development. I'm primarily a web designer and PHP programmer. I'm **** poor at graphic designing though, so I don't really need photoshop;)

I'm pretty much the same but honestly, web design just pisses me off. I'd much rather spend all my time improving a mysql query or something else along those lines. Only time I'm excited about front-end design is when it's javascript related. Otherwise I feel like I'm wasting my time with CSS and HTML/template building (graphics design thrown in as well).

Oh and I've used linux exclusively since 2004 in my web development career which professionally began around the same time even though i've been doing it since 1999ish.