PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Help(urgent)

GageG
June 19th, 2009, 02:14 AM
I Get this error when even I try to install something on ubuntu:

'Cannot open /media/toshiba_itunesSetup. exe:No Application suitable for automatic istallation is avalible for handling this kind of file.'

I get this whenever I try to install anything what so ever....HELP?!

merlinus
June 19th, 2009, 02:19 AM
System/Administration/Software Sources. Untick cdrom and anything else that seems untoward.

GageG
June 19th, 2009, 02:28 AM
I went to the Software sources section but I did not find anything labeled 'cdrom' that could be unchecked.

merlinus
June 19th, 2009, 02:40 AM
Open a terminal.

gksu nautilus
Navigate to /media/ and delete the toshiba file.

GageG
June 19th, 2009, 02:50 AM
I removed the toshiba file (it was a flash drive) but I then tried a disc and it did not work. the same error happened.

merlinus
June 19th, 2009, 02:54 AM
Exactly what are you trying to install, and from where?

GageG
June 19th, 2009, 02:58 AM
Well I have Itunes set up on my flash drive, and when i try to open it from the flash drive it gives me that error. The other thing is a computer game from a CD-rom and when ever I try to open its setup option it gives me the error. and I have also tried to install countless other programs and nothing has ever worked.

merlinus
June 19th, 2009, 03:00 AM
Are these windows programs? You cannot install them on linux. You might be able to run them in a VM or with wine, a windows emulator.

Linux does not use .exe files.

GageG
June 19th, 2009, 03:01 AM
I dont know if they are or not. How could I obtain a windows emulator?

merlinus
June 19th, 2009, 03:02 AM
Do a google search for wine. If the installation files have an .exe extension, then they will not run on linux.

GageG
June 19th, 2009, 03:03 AM
They do. The computer with linux doesnt have internet. could I download it on to my internet enabled computer and then transfer it with a flash drive?

merlinus
June 19th, 2009, 03:36 AM
Don't see why not. Be sure to visit the wine website to make sure it will support the programs you are wanting to install.

Another possibility, depending upon your system resources, is to use VirtualBox. It is VM software into which you can install windows and any apps you desire.

GageG
June 19th, 2009, 03:47 AM
so another question. when ever I try to unpackage both Virtualbox and Wine i get an error that says 'Error: Dependency is not satisfiable: libc6' for virtual box and 'Error: Dependency is not satisfiable: winbind' for Wine

Hobgoblin
June 19th, 2009, 03:52 AM
They do. The computer with linux doesnt have internet.

That's going to make things much more difficult. Is there no way you can give it internet?

GageG
June 19th, 2009, 03:59 AM
No, or I just dont know how. Im rather technology brain dead. Can I hook it up to my desktop computers internet and disconnect my desktop for the time being?

merlinus
June 19th, 2009, 04:19 AM
Give it a try -- should work. If you take the time to do some research, you can easily set up a shared Internet connection for your machines.

raymondh
June 19th, 2009, 04:28 AM
Hello gageG,

See this link when you get a internet connection. You might find some apps for linux which may substitute for your windows applications.

https://help.ubuntu.com/9.04/switching/applications-equivalents.html
http://wiki.linuxquestions.org/wiki/Linux_software_equivalent_to_Windows_software

Of course, if you insist on running windows-specific apps, then VB or Wine should help you (as merlin and others have said)

Happy Ubuntu-ing.

Hobgoblin
June 20th, 2009, 12:19 AM
No, or I just dont know how. Im rather technology brain dead. Can I hook it up to my desktop computers internet and disconnect my desktop for the time being?

That depends on how your desktop is connected.