PDA

View Full Version : Warning:

chadwick359
January 18th, 2006, 05:47 PM
Apparently, in about 72 hours, the world will explode.

Wait, that wasn't it, but anybody hear about this/have any clue what it is?

http://www.lobby4linux.com/WordPress/
Go forth, and discuss.

AsburyPark
January 18th, 2006, 05:51 PM
Sounds like fun!

canadianwriterman
January 18th, 2006, 05:53 PM
Yeah, well, this is another of those vague pronouncements that don't warrant comment or speculation. Perhaps that's all it is... a desire to see what people come up with in their speculation!

chadwick359
January 18th, 2006, 05:54 PM
Writerman, if that is the case, it is still worth it. I wish that it was some cool project, like a KDE-Gnome merge, but alas, I'm pretty sure that it's mostly just hype.

Derek Djons
January 18th, 2006, 06:07 PM
Maybe this guy is for what we all know an insider or something? Maybe he has tapped a conversation or email while visiting somebody who's working in a development team :)

It sounds rediculous but the same thing happened with Ubuntu. Mark Shuttleworth and his first legion of developers worked in secret on this project. The reason for such things... people / media will start speculating and reviewing things while it hasn't even being developed. And if things ever get screwed up your reputation will be damaged because only of that. So working in secret and presenting when done is the best way to develop without being boderd.

curuxz
January 18th, 2006, 06:16 PM
Derek Djons sometimes the oposit can be better tho, I agree only opening your mouth till you have something to say is a good policy but that said microsoft for years has used (with great sucess) the tatic of announcing technology they have not even made to scare the competion away.

I think this project (which is said to be about 48 hours away) wont be anything massive, simply because anything that fundementaly ground shaking to change the feild of play would not have gone under the radar for so long!

One last point....while im sceptical this is anything more than hype firefox has proven that a catchy name and community backing can give even the oldest of ideas a second wind and a fresh perspective. There is a chance this is the next firefox being discussed, maybe the desktop equivelent.

My bet is it has something to do with XML based desktops.

fuscia
January 18th, 2006, 06:20 PM
tl, dr

alinuxfan
January 19th, 2006, 05:06 AM
yeah, i commented about this yesterday in a post
I went back today (since these forums were down) and read some replies to helio's blog and then some of his replies thoughout the thread...
It seems like it is going to be something of a marketing thing. well that is the impression that I got.
I think it is neat what he does with the komputers4kids thing. In fact in one of his replies he says something about it or you can just go to the main page of his site
I hope it ends up being something that I can help with.
We will see

fuscia
January 19th, 2006, 06:20 AM
it's a merger between linux and amway.

Sef
January 19th, 2006, 06:28 AM
it's a merger between linux and amway.

Really.....I thought it was a merger between Microsoft and MacDonald's because Bill Gates wants to flip hamburgers.

towsonu2003
January 19th, 2006, 06:31 AM
Now I'm seeing MS merging with Linus. Or Gnome merging with Gates. Or Linux taking over Ubuntu.

Bring it on ;)

PS. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amway