PDA

View Full Version : mapping wlan devices to driver names?

gradedcheese
June 18th, 2009, 11:25 PM
Hi. I'm trying to map wlan devices (ex: wlan0) to driver names (ex: ath5k, b43, zd1211rw, etc). For far I've had success with digging in sysfs:

#!/bin/bash

WLAN=`ls /sys/class/net/ | grep wlan`
for iface in $WLAN; do
DRIVER="`ls /sys/class/net/$iface/device/driver/module/drivers/ | cut -d ':' -f 2`"
echo "$iface uses $DRIVER"
done

(this will print out, for example "wlan0 uses ath5k")

...but it doesn't work for some drivers, namely the new ar9170usb driver, which doesn't have that directory. I couldn't find any other way to map ar9170usb to a wlanN device (or vice-versa) so I wonder if there's another way to do this that would be more solid. It doesn't have to be a shell script, but I'd prefer that. Any ideas?

monraaf
June 18th, 2009, 11:56 PM
Maybe lshal and friends can be of use. Alternatively you can try grepping through dmesg :D

gradedcheese
June 19th, 2009, 12:04 AM
Thanks, I checked lshal/hal-info but that doesn't tell me anything different from what sysfs has. I wonder if ar9170usb is doing something non-standard (versus the others) as it's the only one I can't 'detect' so far. I'd like to avoid using dmesg if possible.

monraaf
June 19th, 2009, 12:21 AM
How about nm-tool?

gradedcheese
June 19th, 2009, 12:26 AM
Thanks, I didn't know about that one. It would do the job but unfortunately I can't run NetworkManager on these machines. I wonder if I can figure out how NM decides which driver goes to which interface and then do something similar...