PDA

View Full Version : Customising Firefox in Ubuntu

londonali1010
June 18th, 2009, 08:57 PM
Hi all...

I'm frustrated by the fact that Firefox isn't GTK-compliant, and I'm currently struggling to find a Firefox theme that suits my desktop style (which I spend a lot of time on!). I've started to dabble in my own themes, but I'm kind of lost, and there doesn't seem to be a community where people are discussing how to do it. (Unless I've not been using the right keywords!)

I'd like to start a discussion for Firefox screenies, and how you've modded yours, if you have!

I'll start off...I'm using the Nasa Night Launch theme, but I'm not 100% satisfied with it (namely, everything looks boxy, and my GTK/Emerald theme is very smooth, and I hate the annoying space shuttle images that keep popping up!). I have also tried Chromifox Extreme Carbon, which I like the looks of, but for some reason all the fonts in text boxes are the same colour as the backgrounds, so I can't read it...
This thread should run alongside the screenshot thread, but I didn't want to clog up that thread with gory details of Firefox bits & pieces.

Tibuda
June 18th, 2009, 09:04 PM
I'm frustrated by the fact that Firefox isn't GTK-compliant, ...
Do you use any Firefox extension that you can't live without? If your answer is "no", you should try Epiphany. It uses by default the same rendering as Firefox, so you don't have to worry about sites compatibility. The default toolbar is ugly (remembers me of MSIE 4), but you can customize it.

londonali1010
June 18th, 2009, 09:07 PM
Do you use any Firefox extension that you can't live without? If your answer is "no", you should try Epiphany. It uses by default the same rendering as Firefox, so you don't have to worry about sites compatibility. The default toolbar is ugly (remembers me of MSIE 4), but you can customize it.

Yeah, I use Xmarks to sync my bookmarks. If there's a similar tool in Epiphany, I'll consider it, but for the moment, not having Xmarks is a deal-breaker.

Sealbhach
June 18th, 2009, 09:29 PM
Have you tried gnome-color-chooser to tweak it a little? I haven't used it myself much but it does allow for a little adjustment, but I think any changes would apply to all applications, not just Firefox.

Also, Google comes up with this, about using the Stylish add-on:

http://userstyles.org/styles/10822

londonali1010
June 18th, 2009, 09:52 PM
I tried the Stylish add-on, which helped a little, but not quite enough...I've managed to switch to Chromifox, but my Google bar is still tough to read.

Daisuke_Aramaki
June 18th, 2009, 10:00 PM
I tried the Stylish add-on, which helped a little, but not quite enough...I've managed to switch to Chromifox, but my Google bar is still tough to read.

Tell me something Ali. Doesn't firefox by default inherit your theme ingredients?

londonali1010
June 18th, 2009, 10:18 PM
Tell me something Ali. Doesn't firefox by default inherit your theme ingredients?

Well, yes, it does, but a couple things don't work...It inherits the wrong thing...Hard to describe, so I attached a screenie. Basically, it interprets the Firefox toolbar as a button or tab, instead of a window background. Fine if both are the same, but if they're not, and you like your window decs to flow naturally from the window, they look all weird in Firefox.

Also, if you use a dark GTK theme, the throbbers on the tab look weird because of their white highlights!

Not that I'm REALLY picky about this stuff or anything :KS

Daisuke_Aramaki
June 18th, 2009, 10:25 PM
Well, yes, it does, but a couple things don't work...It inherits the wrong thing...Hard to describe, so I attached a screenie. Basically, it interprets the Firefox toolbar as a button or tab, instead of a window background. Fine if both are the same, but if they're not, and you like your window decs to flow naturally from the window, they look all weird in Firefox.

Also, if you use a dark GTK theme, the throbbers on the tab look weird because of their white highlights!

Not that I'm REALLY picky about this stuff or anything :KS

Ok i see now. I normally design my fluxbox themes based on the gtk theme, to make it more consistent, so I have never had issues. Anyway userstyles addon must be the solution then.

froggyswamp
June 18th, 2009, 10:41 PM
For me no matter what Gnome theme I use I put "strata reloaded" on Firefox cause Gnome is just too simple (compared to KDE/MacOS etc) to deliver something revolutionary, so no matter how much lipstick you put on a pig it's still..

chucky chuckaluck
June 18th, 2009, 10:51 PM
i like putting all the junk on one bar. i use the tiny menu extension to reduce all that file, edit, tools mess down to a drop down menu and i just use the icons to identify the bookmarks on the toolbar. i push everything else i need up to the top and then uncheck the other toolbars.

Sealbhach
June 18th, 2009, 10:58 PM

gnome-color-chooser should help you fix the Google address bar.

cc8balla
June 19th, 2009, 04:34 AM
@londonali1010

Gonna give you a great site that I first used when I started playing around with Firefox, http://www.linnhe2.free-online.co.uk/firefox/chrome.html

This will let you edit your userChrome.css file (usually found in ~/home/.mozilla/firefox/somerandomnumbers.default/chrome

This way you can do what you want, it just takes a bit of tweaking. I'll attach my userChrome, its a bit sloppy, as I don't care about syntax and organization for personal files :P

londonali1010
June 19th, 2009, 07:34 AM
i like putting all the junk on one bar. i use the tiny menu extension to reduce all that file, edit, tools mess down to a drop down menu and i just use the icons to identify the bookmarks on the toolbar. i push everything else i need up to the top and then uncheck the other toolbars.

I tend to do the same, to maximise my screen real-estate, without having to go into full-screen mode (which I find slightly annoying). However, I'm now using Firefox 3.5 beta, and my compact menu add-on isn't compatible! So I'm doing without for now :)

Viva
June 19th, 2009, 08:09 AM
Try Nemesis/Smoke theme. The autoscroller is ******, but they work well with my gtk theme.

blackened
June 22nd, 2009, 08:00 PM
Using Stylish (for both page-specific and application hacks) and Tiny Menu. I've also consolidated some bookmark menus (having gotten the idea from one of Giant Speck's screenshots).