PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Weird colours and terrible resolution

Wtwine
June 18th, 2009, 08:43 PM
Hi.

Having successfully recently made the change to Ubuntu on my laptop and PC, I decided to install Ubuntu onto my daughter's laptop this evening. It's an old Mecer (South African brand).

During installation, and now after booting, the background is a weird kaleidoscope of colours (can vaguely make out the pattern of the default jaunty background) and resolution is so bad I have to keep checking menus on my own laptop to see what is what. I tried changing resolution and refresh rate under > display but it makes no difference. When I tried doing a dpkg reconfigure (as per another thread) in terminal, I also found that the space bar doesn't work anymore!

Any suggestions?

Thansk

Wayne

perceptus
June 19th, 2009, 04:26 AM
Is it running hot?

Wtwine
June 19th, 2009, 03:14 PM
Ah, it does have an issue with overheating sometimes, but why is that not affecting graphics in Windows?

Kennith91
June 19th, 2009, 07:18 PM
That really sounds like your Refresh rate is either too high or not functioning correctly cause it might be progressive scan. check monitor settings and make sure they are okay.

Kennith91
June 19th, 2009, 07:35 PM
That really sounds like your Refresh rate is either too high or not functioning correctly cause it might be progressive scan. check monitor settings and make sure they are okay.