PDA

View Full Version : Bluetooth headset... Pretentious or cool?

ZackM
June 18th, 2009, 07:30 PM
I've used one before, but I didn't really care too much about it. But, I often notice that people that use them feel like they're better than everyone, or that they're extremely important because they have one. What are your thoughts?

I should have elaborated a bit... These are the ones for cell phones.

gn2
June 18th, 2009, 07:34 PM
Nothing looks quite as hilarious as someone walking along in a public place having a heated exchange apparently with themself.

Very uncool.

ZackM
June 18th, 2009, 07:36 PM
Nothing looks quite as hilarious as someone walking along in a public place having a heated exchange apparently with themself.

Very uncool.

Haha exactly! Especially when you're next to the person, and for that brief moment you think they're talking to you... and when you give them a look like you're about to talk, they give you the "You're retarded" look... And then you just want to break everything they own.

swoll1980
June 18th, 2009, 08:10 PM
Haha exactly! Especially when you're next to the person, and for that brief moment you think they're talking to you... and when you give them a look like you're about to talk, they give you the "You're retarded" look... And then you just want to break everything they own.

That's exactly how I feel about them.

drawkcab
June 18th, 2009, 10:33 PM
They are handy at the office or whatever but plz, plz, plz do not wear them in public places.

cariboo
June 18th, 2009, 10:51 PM
In areas where you get fined for using a cell phone while you drive, a bluetooth headset is a great idea, if you aren't driving something with bluetooth capabilities.

mr-woof
June 18th, 2009, 10:59 PM
I've got a really nice one for my works blackberry and I use while i'm driving, I wouldn't start walking down the street with it on lol :)

ZackM
June 18th, 2009, 11:17 PM
In areas where you get fined for using a cell phone while you drive, a bluetooth headset is a great idea, if you aren't driving something with bluetooth capabilities.

Yes. Driving with one is fine. That's what I used the one I had for. But... Those people that are sitting in Starbucks with their expensive Macbook acting important... I have a word to describe them.... Douchebag

Amilo1718
June 18th, 2009, 11:19 PM
pretentious

billgoldberg
June 19th, 2009, 12:28 AM
I don't care.

I think it's one of those futuristic kind of things, Star Trek-style and they are great for inside usage.

I don't get why people would use them in public.

I start a lot of sentences with I, because I know some people can't stand that (moehaha).

.Maleficus.
June 19th, 2009, 12:37 AM
I only use one while driving. I hate them otherwise.

gn2
June 19th, 2009, 12:38 AM

It's not just handling the phone which is hazardous, it's the distraction away from concentration on the main task in hand which is caused by a split in concentration.

Having a mobile phone conversation (even using a bluetooth headset) while driving is roughly as dangerous as driving while drunk.

This is well documented.

cariboo
June 19th, 2009, 12:48 AM
It's not just handling the phone which is hazardous, it's the distraction away from concentration on the main task in hand which is caused by a split in concentration.

Having a mobile phone conversation (even using a bluetooth headset) while driving is roughly as dangerous as driving while drunk.

This is well documented.

I fully agree with you, but when you have to travel in order to do your job, and you are dispatched by phone, and you have time constraints, you have to talk on the phone and drive at the same time. Forutnately where I live except for during tourist season, there isn't a lot of traffic on the highway.

tazz4vr
June 19th, 2009, 10:03 PM
although I will not use one... cant stand them, the honey on the other hand must use one due to his job. However, he very rarely uses it when not in his truck, and if he does while we are together, I walk a few paces a head of him just so it looks like he's lost his mind.... I'm so mean sometimes.

KiwiNZ
June 19th, 2009, 10:06 PM
I am wheelchair bound so a wireless head set is very useful

Propelling and steering a wheel chair one handed is not an easy thing to do .I am sure there are folks with sore toes and shins that will attest to ability or lack there of to do it one handed.

ZackM
June 19th, 2009, 10:13 PM
I am wheelchair bound so a wireless head set is very useful

Propelling and steering a wheel chair one handed is not an easy thing to do .I am sure there are folks with sore toes and shins that will attest to ability or lack there of to do it one handed.

Well I can understand that 100%. But it's different for those who aren't tied to a wheelchair and act as if they are king of everything because they see themselves as "important."

cph05a
June 19th, 2009, 10:28 PM
I never thought I would like the headset until I tried one, but they're nice if you multitask a lot. I just wouldn't wear it unless I'm taking a call at that moment. It doesn't make me feel important, it's just nice having an extra hand.

sgosnell
June 19th, 2009, 10:53 PM
Having a handsfree device in an automobile is far safer than holding the phone to one's ear and driving with one hand, and any study which claims to show otherwise simply didn't do the right protocols.

I have a bluetooth headset, which once used in my car. Now it just sits, because I have a stereo with bluetooth capability, which automatically mutes the music answers the call, and then hangs up when the call is finished and brings up the music. I don't have to do anything at all other than talk - no need to take my eyes off the road or my hand off the wheel. I rarely, if ever, have a phone conversation which requires my full attention, and I rarely stay on the phone for more than a couple of minutes.

Inattention to driving is dangerous, whatever the cause, whether it's the driver yelling at the kids, applying makeup, reading a map, eating, or whatever. Talking through a handsfree device is pretty low on the scale.

I don't see the point of using a headset while browsing in WalMart, or anywhere else, though. That's just silly, and I always removed mine whenever I left the car.

OZFive
June 20th, 2009, 03:43 AM
Driving.

Work.

If I know I am going to be stuck on hold for a long long long time.

Long converstaions with mom.

MikeTheC
June 20th, 2009, 03:55 AM
BT headsets are tools which serve a purpose and have a use.

Outside of their nominal purpose, I can't stand them.

I tried using one to chat with someone over Skype, and it was absolutely dreadful. Too much audio was being pushed into too short a range, and it made understanding her nearly impossible.