PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Changing hard drives and adding Windows

WolfByte
June 18th, 2009, 06:37 PM
Hi all

Been a while since i've had to ask for help here, but this one has me stumped.

What i've got now is a 120Gb hard drive running only Ubuntu on it. I'm about to upgrade to a 250Gb drive, but i need to add windows to it as well for work purposes. All the how to documentation i've come across seems to be for moving an ubuntu installation from one drive to another, i've not been able to find one where it involves adding another OS to the process as well to an existing install that never dual booted.

Anyone have any idea how to go about this? I'd greatly appreciate the help.

WB

Idefix82
June 18th, 2009, 06:43 PM
Maybe I'm too naive, but I would have thought that simply installing Windows on the new drive, then creating a partition for Ubuntu, moving the old installation onto that partition and then installing grub on the new hard drive should work.

Therion
June 18th, 2009, 06:44 PM
What about running your Windows install from a Virtual Machine? Unless you need serious 3D hardware acceleration for your Windows applications, it would be the slam-dunk, easy-peasy solution.

Edit: I would strongly suggest doing a clean install of Ubuntu on your new drive but I also know the very idea of doing a fresh install, for whatever reason, strikes mortal terror in souls of many. So, barring that, you would use something like CloneZilla or Remastersys.