PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] no sound

bavman
June 18th, 2009, 04:34 PM
I made a ubuntu cd from the 9.04 iso. And when i run it the sound is messed up....it just sounds funky like during startup. I took the cd to my friends house and had him boot it up and the sound worked perfectly. We were both on hp laptops. Is there something i need to do for the driver or anything?

raymondh
June 19th, 2009, 03:22 AM
I made a ubuntu cd from the 9.04 iso. And when i run it the sound is messed up....it just sounds funky like during startup. I took the cd to my friends house and had him boot it up and the sound worked perfectly. We were both on hp laptops. Is there something i need to do for the driver or anything?

Same sound cards? I don't want to sound ***** but my wife and I had his & hers-same-brand/model laptops but each had different components inside.

Mark Phelps
June 20th, 2009, 09:00 PM
It's likely the two laptops are using different sound chips, one of which is being detected properly and having the proper drivers loaded, and the other which is not.

The second might require installing OSS (Open Sound System) drivers. You can find out about OSS stuff by going to the 4front tech site, below:

http://www.opensound.com/