PDA

View Full Version : Cricket anybody? T20 WC

longtom
June 18th, 2009, 03:15 PM
Hi,

don't know if anybody likes cricket (mostly US people here I guess), but if you do, what are your thoughts about the 2009 T20 World Cup.

One seminfinal starts in a good hour - and my team plays.

....no nails left....8-[

Viva
June 18th, 2009, 03:33 PM
T20 is crap. Real men watch test cricket:cool:

longtom
June 18th, 2009, 03:43 PM
T20 is crap. Real men watch test cricket:cool:

True - I love Test cricket. Unfortunately have real men go to work as well - so I miss a lot of it.

So T20 is my quick fix....

Go Proteas!!!!

MJWitter
June 18th, 2009, 03:43 PM
Seem to be lots of South Africans about these forums!

longtom
June 18th, 2009, 03:44 PM
Who is your team? I'm sure you can guess who I am rooting for!

Hail from Oudtshoorn - what do you think...;)

Daisuke_Aramaki
June 18th, 2009, 03:50 PM
T20 is fun. Going solely by the merit of the teams right now, it would be ideal to see SA vs. SL in the final, although it would be nice to see the Windies in the final.

but i love Test cricket. Looking forward to the Ashes.

Johnsie
June 18th, 2009, 03:52 PM
Sucks that Ireland are out. How can a cricket match be decided in 20 overs?

longtom
June 18th, 2009, 03:59 PM
Sucks that Ireland are out. How can a cricket match be decided in 20 overs?

If Ireland want to have a chance to win more games, 20 overs are their best chance imo. There were my 2nd favourite teams - loved the spirit.

Daisuke_Aramaki
June 18th, 2009, 04:02 PM
Ireland still have the 50 overs World Cup in 2011 to look forward to.

MJWitter
June 18th, 2009, 04:04 PM
Are Ireland any good? Not wanting to sound rude, I've just never seen them playing..

Daisuke_Aramaki
June 18th, 2009, 04:09 PM
Are Ireland any good? Not wanting to sound rude, I've just never seen them playing..

They won the World Cup qualifiers this year. i saw a couple of their games, and they were good. In T20, they actually gave SriLanka a good fight. But to compete against full time members like South Africa, Aussies, India, England etc., they will need a lot and lot of effort. Kenya, another part time member made the semis in the World Cup in 2003, which was because they played well in the tournament. So if Ireland does the same in the next World cup, they can really do well.

ukripper
June 18th, 2009, 04:16 PM
it's load of pants..

ukripper
June 18th, 2009, 04:18 PM

I am shocked scotland didn't qualify for T20 and ireland somehow managed to get in there.

FLMKane
June 18th, 2009, 05:19 PM
I am from Bangladesh. I think I have suffered enough humiliation.

craigeo
June 18th, 2009, 05:23 PM
I'm in the U.S. Watched some of a cricket match once on the internet and was completely lost. Tried reading the Wiki on the rules of the game and it helped a bit. Just never see it on ESPN or anything here to learn it at all.

Slug71
June 18th, 2009, 05:25 PM
I'm in the U.S. Watched some of a cricket match once on the internet and was completely lost. Tried reading the Wiki on the rules of the game and it helped a bit. Just never see it on ESPN or anything here to learn it at all.

Me loves Cricket. :D

ukripper
June 18th, 2009, 05:40 PM
i love cricket but T20 is utter bonkers. No skills are tested for players

izizzle
June 18th, 2009, 05:45 PM
go pakistan!!!!!!!!!!

MikeTheC
June 18th, 2009, 07:07 PM
Can someone here please explain Cricket fully? I've read articles and watched videos and other than the "knock the wicket pins out" and "hit the ball to keep from having it knock them out" I really just don't understand any of the rest of it.

Thanks!

craigeo
June 18th, 2009, 10:09 PM
Can someone here please explain Cricket fully? I've read articles and watched videos and other than the "knock the wicket pins out" and "hit the ball to keep from having it knock them out" I really just don't understand any of the rest of it.

Thanks!

I agree... please.
Looks interesting... I like all sports, so would love to actually figure this one out.

Daisuke_Aramaki
June 18th, 2009, 10:10 PM
Damn! SA lives upto its reputation. They choked again! :(

izizzle
June 18th, 2009, 11:58 PM
Yeah Pakistan Takes The Lead!!!! WoooooHooo!!!

gn2
June 19th, 2009, 12:48 AM
Can someone here please explain Cricket fully?

There's not enough space on the entire internet to store a full explanation of cricket.

But here are the basics (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cricket).

vishzilla
June 19th, 2009, 02:38 AM
Sad SA lost, truly speaking Pakistan never looked like a team that would reach a final. Kudos to them! I am predicting an all-Asia final : SL vs Pak. I could be wrong! ;)

longtom
June 19th, 2009, 08:45 AM
I am shocked scotland didn't qualify for T20 and ireland somehow managed to get in there.

Scotland did qualify - but boy, from all the minows they were the worst. Was a bit of a slaughter throughout. Only against NZL they looked slightly in the game for a period, because it was only a 7 over game (rain reduced).

longtom
June 19th, 2009, 08:46 AM
Well done Pakistan.

As for SA...don't get me started. This was the best chance they had since readmission to win a major tournament - and they blew it.

Why Kallis thought bouncers on a slow pitch to Afridi will result in anything else but bounderies is beyond me....I am sure the under 14 team of my son would have figured that one out after 2 balls...

But not to take anything away from Pakistan. NObody had them on the menu. they played well and deserve to be in the final.

I root for them in the final. Well - they are the underdogs (and I always root for the underdogs) and at least we could say we lost against the world champions...;)

geekygirl
June 19th, 2009, 10:47 AM
hmm lets see...England was beaten by the Netherlands in their first match....we got smashed by the West Indies and were out of the competition after only two games....lol

Nope not interested now :P

Bring on the Ashes...hehehehe

MJWitter
June 19th, 2009, 11:57 AM
All I can hope for is that the Lions vs South Africa rugby match goes better tonight..

padams10001
June 19th, 2009, 12:54 PM
hmm lets see...England was beaten by the Netherlands in their first match....we got smashed by the West Indies and were out of the competition after only two games....lol

After the Aussies performance,it should be a 0-0. I'm an Aussie but i hope you guys win. You cannot understand how much I hate the Aussie cricket team.

Daisuke_Aramaki
June 19th, 2009, 02:20 PM
Its a pity that most of the big guys in the Australian team retired one after the other. Warnie, Pigeon, Gilly, Hayden, and the list goes on. Just the four of them have such a huge experience, and they have won so many games together.

The current team is definitely not at the same level. Brett Lee is not even half as good as he was in his prime, Ponting, though a fantastic player, just has let his aggression get the better of him of late, and don't even get me started on Symmonds.

May be if they had managed to get people like Gilly, Hayden and Warnie out of retirement and persuaded them to play just at the t20 championships, they might have done better.

Though England looks better than Aussies this season, I still wouldn't put my money on England yet. I am guessing it will probably turn out very close, like in 2005. Can't wait for the series to begin.

chucky chuckaluck
June 19th, 2009, 02:23 PM
i had a student from england who said the best thing about playing cricket in the neighborhood was arguing about the rules for several hours. looks like fun.

Daisuke_Aramaki
June 19th, 2009, 02:26 PM
i had a student from england who said the best thing about playing cricket in the neighborhood was arguing about the rules for several hours. looks like fun.

Oh boy! That is true. I still have the Laws of cricket handbook, and it can get really out of hand. There are some intricate details, that let me scratch my head as well. But thank God i haven't seen such a situation in a real game I have seen so far.

geekygirl
June 19th, 2009, 03:10 PM
Yeah, our One Day and 20/20 sides are no longer the best in the world, but I would not like to suggest that about the Test side just yet. Given the English performance in Test Matches of late (Bangladesh was it?! lol) I definately would not put any of my money on them to take the Ashes this time around!

Its true some of the better players have left, however people like Matty Hayden (who really did perform abyssmal just prior to his retirement - plays for Fortitude Valley in Brisbane now as well as the IPL hehe) Gilly - well what can you say? That man is a machine, Shane Warne - well I hated him with a passion although he was very very good when he was younger, but he got old real quick, especially when there are now plenty of other bowlers who can do the flipper now. Isnt there a SA bowler who can do both the Filpper and the Doosra?

I think Stuart Clark and Mitchell Johnson are fine bowlers - Brett Lee should take a back step to Mitchell Johnson especially. Ricky Ponting? lol he has always had a temper...go back a few years to when he was caught brawling in a pub over here! As for Symonds, well he has had a few major personal issues, and I guess he just doesnt care - the guy lost a few million in a failed company called Storm Financial (ironically based in Townsville where I am lol) so I dont think cricket has been high on his agenda - he is still a good slogger though when he wants to perform instead of go fishing - and the other issue is he and Michael Clark do not get along.

Never really understood why people continually blow smoke up Warnie's you know what, when he too was really past his prime - Muralitheran (sp?) has the record for most test wickets now remember?!

People rave on about some of those guys, but the last few years it really was time for them to go - over here its like its the end of the world now that Australia is going back towards where it was say 15 years ago. We have plenty of talent in the gene pool but we tend to suffer from the 'unless you play for NSW you dont get on the Aussie side' syndrome. Look how long they took to put Michael Hussey on the side!!!

Ah cricket...such a love/hate sport....entertains me for hours in the Summer lol

Daisuke_Aramaki
June 19th, 2009, 03:43 PM
@geekygirl

Murali is an exceptional bowler, and i get sick of people who still cast doubt about his action. I think both Murali and Warne are fantastic, although Murali's deliveries are a bit difficult to play even for countries that have exceptionally good batsmen who can pick spin bowlers. Sure Warne had his good days against such batsmen, but Murali was more consistent.

I think the SA bowler could be Botha. I think, the next big thing in spin bowling has got to be Ajantha Mendis. That guy is a mystery. he has got more exciting deliveries in his arsenal, that if he plays the way he is doing right now, he will probably become the highest wicket taker in test cricket. i love his carrom ball.

And yeah I read a lot about Michale Clarke and Symmonds not getting along, although i am not from Australia, so you might know it better.

izizzle
June 19th, 2009, 08:53 PM
Being a Pakistani-born myself, I can't help but remember Pakistan's glory days. When Imran Khan was on the team and they were the World Champions! Perhaps this is their rise... :D

geekygirl
June 21st, 2009, 12:22 AM
Being a Pakistani-born myself, I can't help but remember Pakistan's glory days. When Imran Khan was on the team and they were the World Champions! Perhaps this is their rise... :D

hehe I remember those days, I also remember when the West Indies were THE team to beat with players like Clive Lloyd on the side (then again I also remember Dennis Lillee and Rod Marsh from when I was a kid hehe)

I think its healthier for the game as a whole and its mass appeal to have other teams 'rise' and take over the top spot. This last summer over here in Australia we had SA tour and it was definately one of the better summer series thanks to the high quality competition from SA.

It would be boring if the sport was constantly dominated by one country over and over and over, and I for one am not upset that we (Australia) are no longer the worlds best, we are still good, but we need to regroup and assess new talent.

Also means that during this time there will be a lot of great cricket thanks to a more level playing field for all sides :D

SuperSonic4
June 21st, 2009, 12:27 AM

It's an English summer, the only thing to be brought on will be rainclouds :lolflag:

Lateforgym
June 21st, 2009, 10:27 AM
I heard cricket has this thing where the batter sits for hours till the pitcher throws him something he likes and play can take days. Doesnt this rule out making it a TV sport as other more "interesting" and revenue oriented sports will fill the time slot?
Just seems to be a flaw in its form if the ruling body wants it to become more popular.

geekygirl
June 21st, 2009, 01:30 PM
I heard cricket has this thing where the batter sits for hours till the pitcher throws him something he likes and play can take days. Doesnt this rule out making it a TV sport as other more "interesting" and revenue oriented sports will fill the time slot?
Just seems to be a flaw in its form if the ruling body wants it to become more popular.

Sure you aren't talking about baseball? :p

Given that in Cricket there are batsmen/women not 'batters' and bowlers not 'pitchers' and they bowl the ball, the fieldsmen/women throw it!...

No you might be thinking of Test Cricket on the other hand, however players don't stand around for days, tend to only have 4-5 days to play the average test, sometimes less, hardly boring, rates rather highly on television over here especially in summer with sellout crowds to test events like the Ashes Series or the Boxing Day test match....Cricket is a massive sport in countries like India, Pakistan, Bangladesh, West Indies, Australia, South Africa, England, Sri Lanka and more countries are getting involved especially with the 20/20 games - Test Cricket is actually cricket in its original form, and something that no player wants to go without - there is a certain amount of pride and prestige being selected for a Test Side for your country.

Probably hard to understand if you come from a country that does not have a big cricket culture like we do here in Australia.

1 day cricket and 20/20 are better for television if you want to compare to other sports that make TV - 1 day cricket was created with a television audience in mind with the day/night match concept and was started here in Australia by Kerry Packer, however in the countries I mentioned, I can probably safely say that people there will still want to watch Test Matches, although the pace at which 20/20 is played makes for a quicker and more exciting 'TV friendly' sport...

Viva
June 21st, 2009, 01:34 PM
Test cricket is more watchable than ODIs or T20s imo. T20 just don't feel like Cricket.

geekygirl
June 21st, 2009, 01:37 PM
I love test matches - they tend to be more about skill and tactics rather than an out and out slog fest that is 20/20

Lateforgym
June 21st, 2009, 07:18 PM
"No you might be thinking of Test Cricket"

Why do you need to test cricket? Its been around for 200 years :-)

Oh, perhaps I should just pray that Youtube has a play by play video of the game....

izizzle
June 21st, 2009, 09:09 PM
I'm so happy! Pakistan has won the T20 cup! Time to go celebrate...

longtom
June 22nd, 2009, 10:31 AM
Well done!! Nobody had them on the cards - a real surprise and welcome back to high class international cricket.

amitabhishek
June 25th, 2009, 02:37 PM
Oh boy! That is true. I still have the Laws of cricket handbook, and it can get really out of hand. There are some intricate details, that let me scratch my head as well. But thank God i haven't seen such a situation in a real game I have seen so far.

WTH is Duckworth-Lewis thingie!!! Do we need a super computer to calculate?

One of my favorite past time is watching West Indian blokes of 80s scaring the cr@p out of batsman! My favorite vids on youtube! I also love watching Waqar and Wasim yorkers - real champions; sheer wizardry. Such guys are just not around!!!!