PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Screen res

giridev
June 18th, 2009, 01:54 PM
I installed jauny jackalope and it was great. Screen res was great automatically. Since then I have started using a KVM switch and the res is too low, and not displayed on system->preferences->display. Help please.

coffeecat
June 18th, 2009, 02:19 PM
Are you booting up with the kvm switched to a different computer? If the xserver can't detect a monitor when it starts (just before the appearance of the login screen) it will default to a low-res display - 800x600 iirc.

Either make sure the kvm switch is switched to the Jaunty computer while you boot up or, if you've already booted up and you're getting a low resolution, simply log out and in again and the resolution should set itself to optimal.

Edit: if the kvm is switched to the Jaunty computer during boot-up, it may be that the kvm switch is filtering out the EDID information. If the above suggestion doesn't help, post details of the KVM switch, your graphics card and the monitor.

giridev
June 20th, 2009, 05:37 PM
The problem occurs if the kvm is switched to the Jaunty computer during boot-up. Your suggestion that it may be that the kvm switch is filtering out the EDID information seems to be correct.. Unfortunately the kvm switch was an extra value one from e-buyer, monitor BenQ FP91G+, graphics on motherboard. Problem is resolved when I don't use kvm, move the other computer (Debian amd64 which is OK resolution wise) and use vnc. Thanks.