PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] acer 5220 laptop microphone not working

bobdobbs
June 18th, 2009, 09:03 AM
Hi.
I've been using ubuntu for a couple of years now, and I haven't been able to get microphone working on my laptop.

The laptop is an acer extensa 5220.

Under windows, the mic works fine.

If I make a test call with skype, I hear no sound, no matter what I set the input device to.

Googling around, I can see that other people have gotten the mic to work successfully.

In the gnome volume control, mic boost is set to max.

If, between recording tests on gnome-sound-recorder, I go back to Colume Control and switch between capture options ('mic' and 'inbuilt mic') I get either clicking or fuzz and clicking.

How can I enable the mic ?

bobdobbs
June 19th, 2009, 08:50 AM
bump

MZBKA
June 23rd, 2009, 08:55 PM
I've been having the same problem.

MZBKA
June 23rd, 2009, 10:07 PM
Edit: My machine is a 4420 though. I've fooled around with all of the alsa mixer settings and nothing works. Even for regular audio all of the settings have to be almost maxed out to get a reasonable volume. If I max out all of the mic settings, I can hear a recording of me tapping on the mic very loudly, but that's it.

Mic works in windows, so that's not the problem.

Please help. I can't find the solution anywhere online.

MZBKA
June 24th, 2009, 02:19 PM
I've found this:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+bug/269294
Towards the bottom a user named THE MIKE suggests downloading a new driver here:
ftp://ftp.alsa-project.org/pub/driver/alsa-driver-1.0.20.tar.bz2
However, I can't get this file to "make". Can anybody help?

xc3RnbFO8P
June 24th, 2009, 03:53 PM
Did you do:

sudo apt-get install build-essential

MZBKA
June 24th, 2009, 07:38 PM
Did you do:

I have now and that has not fixed the problem.

xc3RnbFO8P
June 24th, 2009, 08:28 PM
Extract (Desktop)

cd /home/your folder/Desktop/alsa-driver-1.0.20

./configure

make

sudo make install

MZBKA
June 25th, 2009, 03:37 PM
After I try to configure I get

Please install the package with full kernel sources for your distribution
or use --with-kernel=dir option to specify another directory with kernel
sources (default is /usr/src/linux).

What should I do from here?

Thanks for your help!

xc3RnbFO8P
June 25th, 2009, 04:34 PM
sudo apt−get install build−essential linux−headers−$(uname −r)
and try again.

MZBKA
June 25th, 2009, 04:53 PM
I get

build essential is already the newest version

I still have the same problems: All levels in alsa mixer have to be very high to hear any audio, and even with mic boost, front mic boost, and capture all the way up, almost nothing can be recorded. Here is some more info that may be useful

. . .$ aplay -l
**** Liste von PLAYBACK Geräten ****
Karte 0: SB [HDA ATI SB], Gerät 0: ALC268 Analog [ALC268 Analog]
Untergeordnete Geräte: 1/1
Untergeordnetes Gerät '0: subdevice #0

(I'm obviously running the German version)

My soundcard is

00:14.2 Audio device: ATI Technologies Inc SBx00 Azalia (Intel HDA)
Subsystem: Acer Incorporated [ALI] Device 0123
Flags: bus master, slow devsel, latency 64, IRQ 10
Memory at f0700000 (64-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=16K]
Capabilities: <access denied>
Kernel modules: snd-hda-intel

xc3RnbFO8P
June 25th, 2009, 05:07 PM
Try this:

./configure
−−with−kernel=/usr/src/linux−headers−$(uname −r) −−with−cards=ALC268

MZBKA
June 25th, 2009, 05:26 PM
Try this:

Here's what I got back

usage: sudo -h | -K | -k | -L | -l | -V | -v
usage: sudo [-bEHPS] [-p prompt] [-u username|#uid] [VAR=value]
{-i | -s | <command>}
usage: sudo -e [-S] [-p prompt] [-u username|#uid] file ...

I've done a restart and I still have the same problems.

xc3RnbFO8P
June 25th, 2009, 07:55 PM
I have edit my post #12

MZBKA
June 25th, 2009, 08:47 PM
I have edit my post #12

I have been fooling around with different entries for 15 minutes. . .I keep getting the same response:

...$ ./configure−−with−kernel=/usr/src/linux−headers−$(uname−r)−−with−cards=ALC268

bash: uname−r: command not found
bash: ./configure−−with−kernel=/usr/src/linux−headers−−−with−cards=ALC268: No such file or directory

Am I missing something?

xc3RnbFO8P
June 25th, 2009, 08:54 PM
Just copy/paste

./configure
−−with−kernel=/usr/src/linux−headers−$(uname −r) −−with−cards=ALC268
you got

./configure−−with−kernel=/usr/src/linux−headers−−−with−cards=ALC268

MZBKA
June 25th, 2009, 09:31 PM
Here is exactly what I input and what it returns:

INPUT

./configure−−with−kernel=/usr/src/linux−headers−$(uname−r)−−with−cards=ALC268This is different from what you asked me to copy in paste in that there is no space between "uname" and "-r" and also no space between "r)" and "--with-cards". I also could not copy and paste what you said because there is an "enter" after "./configure" in your quote. Here is what I get back:

OUTPUT

bash: uname−r: command not found
bash: ./configure−−with−kernel=/usr/src/linux−headers−−−with−cards=ALC268: No such file or directory

Edit: If I keep the spaces bolded above, I get this back
OUTPUT

uname: zusätzlicher Operand „−r“
„uname --help“ gibt weitere Informationen.
bash: ./configure−−with−kernel=/usr/src/linux−headers−: No such file or directory

xc3RnbFO8P
June 25th, 2009, 10:10 PM
Try this:

./configure --with-cards=hda-intel --with-kernel=/usr/src/linux-headers-$(uname -r)

MZBKA
June 25th, 2009, 11:10 PM
Try this:

Here is the tried input and output with spaces in different places. The first is the cut and paste. I'm a total noob, so I have no idea what we're trying to do, but thank you so much for being so patient with me!

mzbka@mzbka-laptop:~$ ./configure --with-cards=hda-intel --with-kernel=/usr/src/linux-headers-$(uname -r)
bash: ./configure: No such file or directory

mzbka@mzbka-laptop:~$ ./configure--with-cards=hda-intel --with-kernel=/usr/src/linux-headers-$(uname -r)
bash: ./configure--with-cards=hda-intel: No such file or directory

mzbka@mzbka-laptop:~$ ./configure--with-cards=hda-intel--with-kernel=/usr/src/linux-headers-$(uname -r)
bash: ./configure--with-cards=hda-intel--with-kernel=/usr/src/linux-headers-2.6.30-2-generic: No such file or directory

MZBKA
June 26th, 2009, 09:58 AM
Please anybody feel free to send me a private message or an instant message to help me fix this. If I'm spending way too much time trying to get this thing to work. I'll have to go back to windows if there isn't a solution for this. Thanks for any help.

MZBKA
June 26th, 2009, 12:16 PM
I should add that neither the interal mic nor my plug in mic works. Help please! I don't want to go back to windows!

MZBKA
June 30th, 2009, 12:05 PM
Hey. I've found a solution here (German):http://forum.ubuntuusers.de/topic/acer-extensa-5220-soundausgabe-deutlich-leise/

Neither my internal mic nor Skype work, but at least the sound is better and ubuntu functions with a plugged in mic.

Solution:
Open a terminal and enter

gksudo gedit /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base.conf

Then add the following as the last line in in your text editor:

options snd-hda-intel model=acer

bobdobbs
July 2nd, 2009, 08:02 AM
Hi guys.

I finally got it working, thanks to the detailed walkthrough on the launchpad page:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+bug/269294/comments/57

The link was also given by one of the contributers to this thread.

I did not pass any options to configure.
Nor did I use Checkinstall.

Thanks all.

dinoamino
July 12th, 2009, 10:04 PM
Hi guys.

I finally got it working, thanks to the detailed walkthrough on the launchpad page:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+bug/269294/comments/57

The link was also given by one of the contributers to this thread.

I did not pass any options to configure.
Nor did I use Checkinstall.

Thanks all.

I'd like to share my experience - a derivative solution to getting the acer microphone working on my laptop.

I use Debian squeeze/testing with a vanilla kernel: 2.6.29.6 x86_64 GNU/Linux

I used the instructions from the link above to create - but did not install - an alsa-drivers deb package using checkinstall. I then compared the snd_hda_intel.ko module in the package with the currently running module from my kernel. They were equivalent.

Instead of installing the package I just modified
/etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base.conf and added the following lines to the end of the file

alias snd-card-0 snd-hda-intel
options snd-hda-intel model=acer ... and now the internal microphone on my acer laptop finally works in linux!!!

bobdobbs
July 15th, 2009, 01:03 AM
I'd like to share my experience - a derivative solution to getting the acer microphone working on my laptop.

I use Debian squeeze/testing with a vanilla kernel: 2.6.29.6 x86_64 GNU/Linux

I used the instructions from the link above to create - but did not install - an alsa-drivers deb package using checkinstall. I then compared the snd_hda_intel.ko module in the package with the currently running module from my kernel. They were equivalent.

Instead of installing the package I just modified
/etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base.conf and added the following lines to the end of the file

alias snd-card-0 snd-hda-intel
options snd-hda-intel model=acer ... and now the internal microphone on my acer laptop finally works in linux!!!

Just adding those lines didn't work for me.
I had to go ahead and actually install the new drivers as well as add those lines.

As if to confirm this, my solution stopped working when I automatically updated the kernel with apt-get.

So every time the kernel has to be updated, I have to go through the process again. (Along with re-installing madwifi).

It's not a perfect solution, but it works.