PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Tri-Boot, XP Will not boot.

Aristrum
June 18th, 2009, 08:33 AM
First off, Hi everyone :)

Yesterday, I decided to install Ubuntu 9.04. After downloading, burning and installing Ubuntu from the LiveCD, I instantly fell in love :P. Despite that, after playing around for a few hours, decided to boot back to XP... and when the XP logo appears, my computer reboots.

Techinal Stuff:

I had Windows XP and a Windows 7 RC installed before installing Ubuntu. The normal bootloader was the Windows 7 one.

During Ubuntu installation, It detected the OS as "Windows Vista loader", which I assumed was OK. I let it install, and sure enough, on the GRUB menu, I can boot to the Windows 7 bootloader.

When I'm there, the same options arise as before: Windows XP and Windows 7.

Windows 7 works just as before, it boots fine.

However, choosing Windows XP immediately restarts my computer once it reaches the loading screen with the XP logo.

I was wondering if it were possible to allow me to boot to XP again... There are a few things installed on XP that I was doing :(.

Thanks in advance and for reading, Mark.

presence1960
June 19th, 2009, 03:16 AM
I may be incorrect but I believe the 7 bootloader handles 7 and XP.

raymondh
June 19th, 2009, 03:23 AM
I may be incorrect but I believe the 7 bootloader handles 7 and XP.

yup ....

Aristrum
June 21st, 2009, 12:18 AM
That's correct. However, upon the installation of Ubuntu, XP will no longer load at all from the 7 bootloader. However, 7 still boots a-ok.

Any ideas on this :P? I'm probably just going to have to format it and do a clean reinstall.