PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] No root terminal in Jaunty

punkybouy
June 18th, 2009, 01:01 AM
I just upgraded to Jaunty from Intrepid on an old Dell Inspiron 2200. The root terminal is filled in with a reddish color and will not open. My work around has been to assign a root password, open a regular terminal and su to root if needed. Anybody got a fix? Initially opening the root terminal will prompt me for a password but after that it never starts. Thanks in advance.

LepeKaname
June 18th, 2009, 02:02 AM
My work around has been to assign a root password, open a regular terminal and su to root if needed.

You couldn't just use "sudo" ?

I have never used the root terminal, I always run a regular terminal and use sudo for any command I need...

I have Jaunty as well and I can't see where is that root terminal (in the menus)... maybe it is not installed?

Hobgoblin
June 18th, 2009, 03:30 AM
My work around has been to assign a root password, open a regular terminal and su to root if needed. Anybody got a fix?

No need to set a root password.

sudo command

or

sudo su

dmikulec
June 18th, 2009, 10:23 PM
I, too, would like to use the root terminal again. I use a command which does not work with sudo. At least the gksu work around does work.

coffeecat
June 18th, 2009, 10:38 PM
I use a command which does not work with sudo.

What command is that? Perhaps you need to read this:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/RootSudo

oldos2er
June 19th, 2009, 12:52 AM
I changed the root terminal command to gnome-terminal -e "sudo -i", which works. Root terminal not working in Jaunty is a known bug.

Amilo1718
June 19th, 2009, 12:58 AM
Root terminal not working in Jaunty is a known bug.
indeed ;)