PDA

View Full Version : what do they do

sandyd
June 17th, 2009, 11:21 PM
im currently in the hospital suffering from internal bleeding. i just wonder.... whats the average waittimes in the hospital thats closest to yours, and could someone tell me what they do when someone comes in with internal bleeding? and yes, im gonna live. its just that my stomach is bleeding.

swoll1980
June 17th, 2009, 11:25 PM
It's like 4 hours where I live, unless you walk in carrying one of your limbs.

oldsoundguy
June 17th, 2009, 11:42 PM
Been in the local hospital 4 times since April 2007.
First time was with heart attack and got immediate attention. (hauled in by ambulance) Quad bypass and 11 days later went home.
Second time was appointment .. not emergency for Cancer removal.
Third time was a DRIVE in emergency. Gall bladder removal. attention within 15 minutes.
Fourth time was appointment .. not emergency for Aortic artery aneurysm (not bleeding yet .. so no emergency).

So my experiences have been very positive. (but in the US, helps to have INSURANCE!)

BTW .. the last one kills more men than prostate cancer does now and is number two only to heart failure in male mortality rate.
IF you have ever smoked or drank and if you have lived more than a sheltered life and are 50-55, talk to your doctor about an ultra sound and/or ct scan.
You can be bleeding to death and NOT KNOW IT!

swoll1980
June 17th, 2009, 11:46 PM
Been in the local hospital 4 times since April 2007.
First time was with heart attack and got immediate attention. (hauled in by ambulance) Quad bypass and 11 days later went home.
Second time was appointment .. not emergency for Cancer removal.
Third time was a DRIVE in emergency. Gall bladder removal. attention within 15 minutes.
Fourth time was appointment .. not emergency for Aortic artery aneurysm (not bleeding yet .. so no emergency).

So my experiences have been very positive. (but in the US, helps to have INSURANCE!)

BTW .. the last one kills more men than prostate cancer does now and is number two only to heart failure in male mortality rate.
IF you have ever smoked or drank and if you have lived more than a sheltered life and are 50-55, talk to your doctor about an ultra sound and/or ct scan.
You can be bleeding to death and NOT KNOW IT!

Damn old sound guy. Are you part cat, or something.

treesurf
June 17th, 2009, 11:49 PM
Carlee, I know that emergency rooms do what is called "triage" which is a system which they use to prioritize the urgency of the different patients that come in. So how long you wait is dependent on how many other patients there are, and also the seriousness of their conditions.

I'm sorry I don't know anything about internal bleeding, but I'm sending good vibes out your way, hoping you get better quickly!

oldsoundguy
June 18th, 2009, 12:10 AM
Damn old sound guy. Are you part cat, or something.

Nope, but getting old isn't for woosies!! 45 years in the music business combined with the last 30 in rock n' roll combined with that lifestyle took it's toll! (Sound Guy)

Vostrocity
June 18th, 2009, 12:32 AM
I don't like hospitals much, so I barely ever go. Other than checkups, the only time I've ever been to one was when I was 5 and fell down the stairs. :D

sandyd
June 18th, 2009, 12:41 AM
after 5 hours of waiting (i posted this while getting impatient) i finally got attention and found out what their going to do. however, i did find something rediculus. they said I had to go get my own blood doner. luckily, several of my friends volunteered. what the doctors are going to do is stick an endoscope that has lasers down my throat and use the lasers to fix the wound. unfortunately, i shall have to wait another 2 hours for that. ouch :(

lisati
June 18th, 2009, 12:48 AM
The last time I was in hospital was nearly two years ago for a suspected heart attack, hauled in by ambulance. I didn't take too much notice of what was going on or how long I had to wait (deliberate daydreaming & relaxation to help maximise chance of survival and to minimize damage), but four days later and a bunch of pills to take (probably for life) I was home again. They said something about having had an angiogram: I don't actually remember having one, and I would have thought I'd notice something like that!

A few weeks later in an outpatient clinic they hooked me up to a bunch of gadgets and tried to give me another heart attack by making me walk on a treadmill far faster and harder than I normally would. I wasn't too happy about it (partly because one of the ECG monitors was obviously running XP - I didn't want to catch a virus that they couldn't fix with their pills and potions) but humoured them anyway.

BTW I consider going to the gymn a potentially incredible waste of time, effort and money: I'd much rather combine my exercise with something useful like walking to the shops to get the groceries or mowing the lawns.

treesurf
June 18th, 2009, 12:58 AM
Carlee, I hope it all goes smoothly and painlessly for you.

Viva
June 18th, 2009, 01:42 AM
Get well soon

MaxIBoy
June 18th, 2009, 04:23 AM
I hope you get better soon!

The first time I was in the hospital, I was almost ten years old. I'd learned the hard way that towel racks aren't strong enough to lean on, and I wound up getting my face ripped open as a result. I was driven to the emergency room, where I was stitched up. I think the most painful part was when they gave me multiple shots of a local anesthetic, which didn't start working until I got home. I can't say how long it took them, because my perception of time wasn't exactly accurate, but I think they saw to me fairly quickly.

I learned later that adrenaline tends to suppress anesthetics, which is probably why I was in so much pain. I've been seriously injured since then, on multiple occasions (none as serious as that one, but some have come close,) and ever since then, I always manage to force myself to calm down. It's much more pleasant that way.

I think the only other time I actually went to the hospital was by appointment. I was getting myself X-rayed to check out a suspected fractured thumb. It was a few days after I'd injured it, and it wasn't getting at all better, so the doctor told me that it might not be a sprain. As it turned out, it was a fracture, but not a clean break. Still, I spent almost half a year wearing a brace that immobilized my entire left arm from the elbow down.

Mr. Picklesworth
June 18th, 2009, 04:31 AM
after 5 hours of waiting (i posted this while getting impatient) i finally got attention and found out what their going to do. however, i did find something rediculus. they said I had to go get my own blood doner. luckily, several of my friends volunteered. what the doctors are going to do is stick an endoscope that has lasers down my throat and use the lasers to fix the wound. unfortunately, i shall have to wait another 2 hours for that. ouch :(

Oooh, lasers! I'm excited :P

Sorry. *Empathy, Picklesworth, empathy...*

DougieFresh4U
June 18th, 2009, 04:49 AM
I had what they called 'hematoma' or some thing like that, a
few months back. Internal bleeding after operation.
They did an ultra sound to find where it was building up then made a little hole and put about 2 feet of tube in the hole (it coiled up) and let it drain into a bag. I went home after a few days with tube and bag, had to emptu out daily until it stopped draining.
Sorry for being a little descriptive.
It was quite painfull in the begining as it took a few days before I went to emergency room and the pressure from it was horrible.
Hope it's fixed for you by now

Zlatan
June 18th, 2009, 06:47 AM
it is a shame to pay taxes for that

H2SO_four
June 18th, 2009, 06:50 AM
It's like 4 hours where I live, unless you walk in carrying one of your limbs.

In my experience that is pretty accurate :( We probably live near the same lake.

hanzomon4
June 18th, 2009, 06:58 AM
Wait time is usually until you get up and leave or die... sucks not having insurance in Louisiana. In Chicago it's not so bad a few hours

SLEEPER_V
June 18th, 2009, 07:02 AM
one of the local hospitals here is 2.5 hrs max regardless of illness. They guarantee it.

tazz4vr
June 19th, 2009, 06:48 AM
upon registering my grandfather for a possible stroke, my grandmother was told they needed to take a seat and wait their turn. As he was actually suffering one, my step-father proceded to the back exam room and wouldn't leave until a doctor came out.

The Real Dave
June 19th, 2009, 02:28 PM
Waiting times tend to vary hugely in my country, depending on the severity of your wound. Non serious things can be waiting anywhere from 3-24 hours, maybe longer. For example, my grandmother had shattered her hip and was waiting on a trolley in a corridor for over 18 hours.

Hospital staff are usually over worked and underpayed, and the whole hierarchy thing is head-wrecking. Admin wont help doctors, doctors wont do jobs they feel is below them (eg, if there was a huge pool of blood on the floor, they'd usually just step around it, even if they weren't busy), and often, nurses are left picking up the slack. There aren't enough nurses either, meaning that most work way too much, resulting in poor care.

When I broken my ankle (displaced fracture, so should be real obvious), the doctor who treated me told me it was a sprain. He had been working for over 23 hours.

Also, Accident and Emergency staff spend too much of their time getting abuse from drunks, or drug users, who have injured themselves for retarded reasons, and when they do get to hospital, only fight with the staff. They waste time that could be used on people who are injured for genuine reasons, and need help. Not wasters just causing problems.

Substance abuse effects many more people other than the abuser.

Hope you get better soon =]