PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] re-running the installer

freakalad
June 17th, 2009, 11:11 PM
This is a pretty silly question, but hoping someone knows the answer.

The system installer (when popping in mini.iso liveCD & do the portioning & stuff) is a pretty useful & versatile tool, and I'm hoping to run it again, after the system has already been installed, to reconfigure some stuff.

From what I can gather, it consists of:
* basic kernel to get the installer OS going
* mirror & locale settings
* partitioning tool, with support for LVM, and the ability to resize a pre-existing windows partition. some variation of fdisk or cfdisk
* kernel picker: generic, server, desktop, virtual, etc. This is the juicy bit I'm after, as I may wan to change the kernel, say, from a server to generic without having to completely trash my existing installation & configs
* system task & role selector: tasksel

If tools such as `tasksel` is still available on the system, it stands to reason that the other tools are too, or are just an apt-get away

lemming465
June 19th, 2009, 03:51 AM
The documentation for ubiquity suggests it isn't useful on a running system. However, dpkg-reconfigure might be a great help to you.

freakalad
June 19th, 2009, 04:43 AM
Ubiquity? Thanks for that info; I'll look into it a bit more.

I've used the dpkg-reconfigure tool on numerous occasions (frequently with the -a option), especially if I've broken something good & proper, but in this case. it's not exactly the tool I'm looking for.
Besides, sometimes dpkg-reconfigure is pretty hit & miss when trying to guess which packages to config

But I thinks Ubiquity is ringing bells in the right direction