PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Problems With Installing New Themes

andy0550
June 17th, 2009, 09:46 PM
Hey everyone,

I'm new to ubuntu, as a matter of fact, I just installed ubuntu today, since I heard it's a rather stable and efficient system. Before this, I used windows Vista, and after being infected by a virus, I finally decided to give the whole windows system up and try a linux/unix system.

Anyway, I am very fond of unique desktop themes, and I was hoping that with ubuntu (I have the jaunty version by the way), I could easily change between different skins and themes. BUT even though I tried downloading different themes from different sites (such as deviantart, gnome-look, etc.), everytime I tried installing them in the themes section, some sort of error would come forth and not allow me to do so. One of the times it actually managed to install a theme, but it never showed up in the listing of different themes. I find this rather bizare and annoying, since I was hoping that with ubuntu, unlike windows, I would be easily able to change skins and themes.

Can someone help me with this problem and help me to be able to install new themes please :) I've seen some really great themes out there, and I'm more than eager to download and try them out :)

Thanks to all!
- Andy

howefield
June 17th, 2009, 09:48 PM
Try the themes here, I like the tropical one.

http://francois.vogelweith.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=category&layout=blog&id=3&Itemid=14

Instructions on the page and very easy to follow.

andy0550
June 17th, 2009, 09:51 PM
Thanks for the link, but I've seen these themes and my problem is installing them, rather than finding them.

howefield
June 17th, 2009, 09:55 PM
Where do you get an error, have you successfully added the repository and updated the package manager ?

andy0550
June 17th, 2009, 10:35 PM
Yeah, I updated everything after the installation.

Ok, so this is an example of one of the problems I get:

1. I find some theme on the net, like this one in example:

http://nikkee.deviantart.com/art/nSimple-83822642

2. I download the file to the ubuntu desktop

3. Then I attempt to install the file to the "Themes" section in "Appearance", but every time, it denies it and says it was unable to install it.

That seems to be the problem, no matter which theme I try to install or which file - niether .tar nor .bz files work...

I really don't get it... :(

howefield
June 17th, 2009, 10:48 PM
I have given that one a go to try it, what I did was download the nSimple_by_Nikee.gz file, then double click and uncompress to desktop which gives a file called nSimple.tar, again uncompress to give a folder called nSimple.

Open up appearance from the System > Preferences menu and drag the nsimple folder and drop onto the appearance window. A dialogue box pops up informing that the theme is installed, and should it be applied.

Is this what you did ?

andy0550
June 17th, 2009, 10:55 PM
I'd love to try it, but now, when I download files and save them to the desktop, they don't appear on the desktop :( What's wrong now, can you help me with this too? Sorry this had to happen, I know it's a little off topic...

andy0550
June 17th, 2009, 10:58 PM
Wait, no need, I fixed it. It was due to a confusion between two languages on the system :) I'm trying your advice now.

andy0550
June 17th, 2009, 11:01 PM
Ok, so I managed to install it, but once I installed it, it doesn't appear on list of themes. Then, when I try to move the file in there again, it says "Error. Can't move directory over other directory"

howefield
June 17th, 2009, 11:03 PM
when I download files and save them to the desktop, they don't appear on the desktop

If it is firefox you are using, go to Edit > Preferences menu (Download section on the main tab) and check where your files are being downloaded to ?

Or set it to ask you every time and try again.

I will email you the file if you pm me an email address.

howefield
June 17th, 2009, 11:06 PM
Ok, so I managed to install it, but once I installed it, it doesn't appear on list of themes. Then, when I try to move the file in there again, it says "Error. Can't move directory over other directory"

OK, You got it before I replied.

For that particular theme, there is no theme shown on the theme tab of the preferences window., press the customise button and you will see the "Simple" options in the Controls and window border tabs.,

andy0550
June 17th, 2009, 11:07 PM
I fixed the desktop problem... But sure, I'll give you my mail then.

Thanks for all the help so far :)